Coral Vue Hydros

A sad day for my reef!

luv2jeep

I got up this AM and went to check on my tank and the small (male) false clown was laying on the floor in front of the tank. I've had this guy for 2 years now! :*(

I never knew of a clown to do this! I dunno man ... after this and my algae problem, I'm ready to call it quits and just wait for the summer project (180G).

Nah ... not a quitter ... just bitter!

I think what I am going to do is give the clown to my friend who just put up a 350G tank.

Tear my tank all the way down, scrub the crap out of everything, get Live Sand from the LFS and put it all back together with just the corals, snails, crabs, and my coral banded. Might later add a Royal Gramma or small Damsel.

Want to make it a coral tank, not a fish tank.

Is it me or are we all being a bit quick to judge based on a clown's behavior. Are they not notorious for behaving strangely? My clown sleeps all scrunched up in the corner of a tank and definitely looks dead. During the day he is healthy as can be, eats well, spends a lot of time in his open brain which he has taken as a host, color and fins look amazing.

Sometimes they just sleep funny.

It just couldn't handle the stress anymore.. imagine looking out the window to your house and having some huge eye ball right in front of you.. I'd prolly jump out too!

Well.. maybe he was getting old.. and thought "I don't want to die like this.. I want to die in a BLAZE of glory!"... or he just didn't want to ruin your tank.. how considerate!

I feel your sorrow though.. *bows his head in a moment of silence*

he probably jumped because of the water conditions. my eel jumped many times when i put him into a new tank because he didn't like it. Luckily i always caught him. After putting him back into his old tank he calmed right back down.

Is it just me or did nobody notice the 180G tank. If you can't controll the algae in a 10g nano, you are going to freak with a 180. When I had my 65 set up, I had a sh*t load of algae problems and could never get it under control. I now have a 10g nano, click my website above to view, I have more watts per gallon and I have yet to see a speck of algae. Maybe you should consider staying with a small tank and try to learn and read more. 180G reef is not going to be easier if you don't know what to do, but a more expensive disaster!

This is just my opinion.....

Macnreef - I don't know what you did in your large tanks, but if you had problems there, what on Earth possesed you to attempt a nano?!?! I've kept the following tanks (in order): 55, 6, 75, 12, 7.5, now a 10. I NEVER had a problem until this tank! The 55 and 75 were the easiest of all! To quote Robert Fenner: "Dillution is the Solution to Pollution".

That and that dumba$$ 96W PC Quad!!! As for the algae, after using PhosGuard and dropping the lighting to a 48, I am now algae-free again! And happy to report all critters are on the rebound to being healthy again (minus above clown!)...

Doubt it is stress. The poor guy has been with me for 2 years through 3 tanks and never been sick or anything! But this is the first time I had him in an open-top tank. DOH!

Archived