Top Shelf Aquatics

My own little slice of the ocean...

Sparkling_Surfer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sparkling_Surfer

Aww, thanks guys!

I might add more corals later on (when I move back to school), but for now, thats about it. There really isn't many places to stick corals as my rock is covered in oysters.

My fish is a Midas Blenny...he's the greatest. SUCH a great personality. He greets me when I come home, eats out of my hand...he's just the silliest fish I've ever had.

Thanks for the comments!

CollegeReef

nice tank, ive got simmilar hopes and dreams for my tank, (12g DX, will be here in 2 days!!!)

so everything is doing ok with the stock lighting? thats my only concern.

also, when you say moving back to school i assume taking the tank with you, as i will be moving both my cube and my 10g's of freshwater to and from school every semester. ive moved the freshwater one before but im worried about fish and coral, thinking of buying an AC converter for the car and running an airpump in the tank while i drive.

how have you deal with the stingy friend in your tank? (the bubble coral). Any problems so far? I want to put a bubble in my 16 AGA, but i'm not quite sure if i should.

Sparkling_Surfer

I came home yesterday to learn the horrible news that my midas blenny had made his first (and last) jump out of the tank...I was (am) devastated. I buried him underneath a banana tree & put some yellow flowers around his grave...

I usually kept the feeding lid open about half way and I've never had a problem with him jumping before...until yesterday. Unfortunately he didn't even get a chance to learn from his mistake. Man, I am so bummed!! I loved him a lot...

So, a warning to all cube owners out there: do not keep your feeding lid open without some type of net to catch your fish. I will post pictures later of something my dad made for my tank. I don't want others to loose their fish the same way...

R.I.P. Barney...you will be missed.

• 3 weeks later...
Sparkling_Surfer

(long post--I have a lot to say!! Wink)

Finally...an update (pictures will be posted later)!!

A lot has happened in the past month. While change sometimes means bad things, it also creates many opportunities for improvement. With that being said, I finally put another fish in my tank after my first fish went tile surfing.

After I lost Barney, I really wanted another midas blenny. I called every lfs in my area and nobody had them in stock. I kinda gave up on that...so, about a week ago, I went to a lfs thinking they had Lyretail blennies. When I looked in the tank, I saw the unmistakeable face of a midas peeking out from underneath a rock!!! Needless to say, I took this as a sign and I bought "her" Smile

Her name is Willow and she has a completely different personality than Barney--she has even taken up a different home! She lives on top of my live rock on a clump of macroalgae that I call her "perch". She is very active and constantly swims under the cave & zooms back to her little perch. Yesterday she was sitting like Shamu does with her back arched so her tail & head were pointing up Laughing

My parents bought me a green Hawaiian Feather Duster & orange Pagoda cup coral for my birthday...both are gorgeous specimens! I haven't been able to attach the Pagoda to my rock yet, but I will do that next week when I tear down the tank to move back to school (gasp). I'll also be fragging my xenia within the next couple of days. Anybody want some?

I've been thinking about getting Willow a friend. I decided on a Sixlined Wrasse...of course, when you want something in particular, you can't find it. After bugging my lfs again, they finally got in a few! So I bought one last night. Very cool little guy, I don't have a name for him yet but I'd like it to be a Japanese word (because he looks Japanese, hehe). As soon as I put him in, he weaved in and out of the rocks, searching for food. Willow soon checked him and then they started swimming together. It was very cute...

I will be moving back to school in a week...If anyone has experience with moving a saltwater tank over a long distance (7 hours for me), please share your expertise! I'll probably end up bagging everything separately and putting the bags in coolers...I'm very nervous about the move!!!

Thanks for sticking with me through this long post. Pictures to come.

Sparkling_Surfer

Once again, sorry for the horrible picture quality. Enjoy!

Willow on her perch:

90611dcd.jpg

b2855cd2.jpg

Willow & new fish swimming around:

ce85cdae.jpg

New fish (still unnamed) :( :

03adb772.jpg

Is it a frog? or Willow?

e3bf7f28.jpg

New coral -- orange Pagoda Cup Coral (this is not staying down here...I will glue it to the rock when I move next week):

272a1a3d.jpg

"Net" that my dad made to prevent future tile-surfing & full tank shot:

9dbd2159.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice setup!

Do you dose anything special(phyto?)for the turkey wing oysters? I'm in the process of setting up my tank and I've been using extra live rock I've taken out my bigger tank but there is one nice piece that I've been avoiding because it's got an oyster and clam on it. I've had it for about a year in the big tank with no problems but I imagine if it were to die in the nano things would go South in a hurry.

• 2 weeks later...
Sparkling_Surfer

Yes,

I feed DT's live phytoplankton twice a week, and I've started feed Zooplex once a week. Everyone seems happy so I must be doing something right. I too would imagine that a dead oyster would throw things off in such a small tank, but I do a check every week during water changes (dead oysters fall off the rocks, so I poke them all to make sure they are still alive). None have died yet.

My sixline is named Kitsune (Japanese for "fox") :)

Absolutely spectacular tank!

Sorry to hear about the tilesurfer, but the new additions look great, as does the net! Best of luck with the move back to school!

-MT

• 3 weeks later...
Sparkling_Surfer

Thanks!

I'm battling with hair algae and cyanobacteria at the moment...will post more pictures when things clear up.

• 4 months later...

What's wrong with Florida?!?!! EVERTHING, they have better houses, better weather, better stores, DEFINETLY better beaches, better EVERYTHING

then...

old

small

boring

ohio.. lol

• 3 months later...

Archived