ReefCleaners.org

Need ID

wb9258

I am wondering if there is a web page where I can look up these orange bug/worm looking things on my glass. I believe they are too small to take a picture of, so I dont know how else to get an ID. There is about 75 1 cm orange things that crawl when I poke them and I believe they are multipling. My girlfriend says she saw these on the glass at our LFS as well so I an not really concerend about them, just want to know what they are. I am under the impression the pods and copods are clear not orange????

Do they crawl slowly or skitter around quickly? The former would most likely mean flatworms; the latter, 'pods. EDIT: I'd agree about the flatworms. They can be brown, red, orange, or combinations. They crawl around and crunch into a tiny ball or long tube if you harass them, and float away to safety.

Wait, 1cm? That's pretty big... ____ You mean a millimeter or two, maybe? -

reef hugger

I have seen the ones in the pic I posted get to about .5cm (5mm). There is a possiblity that they could be pods, I have a pic of a green one. So it is possible that there are orange ones but, I still think they are flatworms.

They do look like the pic a little. And they do float away when I mess with them. Are flat worms harmfull in the tank, if so how do I get rid of them?

Look around on this site for information on flatworms. Some people believe that they are harmless, just ugly. Others are of the opinion that they do cause harm in great numbers. I believe the most damage caused from these worms comes from passive irritation to corals, and when present in huge numbers, they can reduce the light received by the corals. I've had them and used Saliferts' Flatworm eXit with outstanding success. It took two applications and the flat worms were GONE. Follow the directions VERY CAREFULLY!!! These little guys are very toxic and will release this toxin when they die. The instructions state that you should siphon out as many as possible before treatment, and to have plenty of activated carbon on hand to adsorb/absorb as much of the toxin as posssible after the treatment has been performed. There are some reports of natural control through nudibranchs and some fish. In my opinion, these control animals are short lived, and in most cases, require more maintnenance to care for, and are not guarenteed to be effctive.

Smaller shots of the flatworms.

whatbethis02.jpg

(Btw, it's someone else's photo that was posted for ID on RC)

Archived