inTank Media Baskets

How much do Firefish really jump?

Cetra324

Because I just got one acclimated into my tank, and suddenly realized "Oh... they jump... and I don't have (and want to avoid getting) a cover. Hmmmmmm..."

So really, if I have a lot of LR for hiding, is this guy gonna be a jumper?

My understanding is that it depends a lot on the fish... For instance, my girlfriend has a purple firefish in her 10g tank (with a cover) but anytime he gets spooked he just darts into the rockwork below him. I have never seen him quickly swim towards the surface of the water (not to say that he never has) but I'd feel safe keeping him in my 29g open top if i had to.

Hmm, I've got mine in a 20 long, so it's pretty shallow... =

Ah well, I'll keep an eye on him and hope for the best. Really couldn't put a top on it, what with all the gadgets and the like poking out of it. Bah!

*edit* Hmm.. when I smack the glass he seems to always go for the rocks. Good sign. :P I think I better stop spooking him before I really stress him out. >_<

a 20L and 10 have the same depth dimensions, and since they aren't really big swimmers, the tank length doesn't matter. they won't jump if they aren't spooked so as long as nobody smacks the glass on the tank too much (j/k) he should be a-ok!

I would get a cover, its not worth the risk. But I know what ya mean. I'd rather not spend more money than I have to. My dad and I are making a cover out of a extra pane of glass we have.

Sara

Ya I lost a firefish to an open top tank, not really sure why it jumped. It was pretty acclimated to the surroundings and would even dart toward the open part of the tank when I fed.

ReefMonkeee

the thing about having a glass cover is that less air and surface interaction. Other than taht i wouldn't mind having a glass cover. Also my firefish seems to hide alot and when it is out, it get spooked, it darts into the rock work. so as long as u dont scare it to much i guess it wont jump out.

• 2 weeks later...
fishybusiness

I have a firefish that I'm going to get rid of. He lives in a nanocube and jumps alot. Even before I got my watchman goby. If he's not in the tank then he's in the back.

Archived