ReefCleaners.org

Nano Safe Starfish?

Foogoo

Almost all are reef-safe, but none will fare well in a nano. Starfish do NOT like fluctuating parameters (i.e. nano-reef)

Some have done it, but I would not suggest it. The tank will do fine w/o it and it just stresses the animal.

Guys at my LFS kind of keep a look out for any very small brittle/serpent stars that come in on LR. In my 10G, I have a few Asterina that were hitch hikers as well as some (~7) baby Ophioderma that came with some LR. I bought a small Ophiolepis. All have done great for many months. I also have a small (disc is about 7 mm across) Ophiothrix sp. I bought last week that hanks out under a power head with it's arms out filtering the water as it flows by an 2 Linkia arms that had broken off of a brown Linkia at the LFS. I donated a buck a piece for the Linkia arms. One of them now has four (~ 3 mm long) little arms radiating from the broken end of the arm; the other hides in the back and I don't get a good look at it very often. Anyway, if your not afraid to feed your tank, there should be plenty for small stars to scavenge. If you tend to starve everything and expect your corals to get theirs from light only, you may want to skip them. I have heard/read all the stories about starfish being difficult to acclimate, but I haven't seen it on any of my specimens. I drop 'em in and they go about their business, never a loss. I used to acclimate everything maticulously for about 3-4 hours, corals, inverts, fish. I don't buy any fish, and I still acclimate my arthropods, but anything else just goes straight in and does fine. Anyway, just my experience.

Archived