inTank Media Baskets

New to Pico

aleiodubua

Alright, here's the deal. I had a old acrylic hex that's about 1.5-2 gallons. I decided to make it into a pico, and plan to put in 2 sexy shrimp, and maybe some mushrooms.

My main question is, I bought a marineland HOB filter w/o biowheel. It's registered for use on a 5-10 gallon tank. Is this going to cause to much flow? Or will it be ok? I'll post pictures as I progress. Thanks for you help in advance.

Another question, I'm planning on buying a 20watt Coralife Mini Compact Fluorescent 50/50 in which is going to be hung above my tank. The fixture is just an old iguana light fixture, figured it'd work. I also made a cover to compensate for evaporation. Would 20watts be to much for this tank, should i go with the 10 watt model instead?

The HOB should probably be okay depending on what you put in the tank. I have the same hex with the smallest aquaclear HOBs and I have a few dead spots. As far as lights go I would go with the 10 w (thats what I have). Even with 10W you would have a tough time keeping the temperature down in the summer. I added a small table fan to blow across the water (Watch for evaporation) and my temps stay at 80F most of the time. Hope that helps.

clear skies

Vishnu

neanderthalman

Sounds like you've got a decent plan. I prefer more flow than a HOB can output, so I've got a maxijet 400 in the back of my 1.6 hex. There are no dead spots in my tank, and amazingly, it fits.

Well I got about a 1 lb of sand, and 3lbs of live rock for the pico. I'll post some pics in the morning, when I can take some.

Ok, sorry I haven't posted any pictures, still trying to get more equipment. Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions for livestock? Sexy shrimp is everywhere, andything else that would be cool in this little pico?

does anyone else thing a 1.7g is ok for a gobie...and if it was, what kind would I have to get?

Sounds to me like that's too small, but some gobies only get 1 1/2 inches and they're usually perched on something instead of swimming...

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

neanderthalman

Some people are fine with keeping fish in a tank this small. I don't. Just because you could survive in a 10' x 10' jail cell doesn't mean you will enjoy it. Sexy shrimp are small enough that the confines of the tank are less of an issue.

well I've changed ideas. I went ahead and bought a 2.5 gallon aquarium so I could get a yellow clown goby. Those are the coolest little fish. Anyway, I have it up and cycling now. What do you think of my aquascaping? Should I change?

HPIM0567.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well for anyone who follows this thread, I'm almost finished with my custom canopy and stand. I'm have to postpone the pictures till the 18th,because my sneaky little girlfriend got on here and got a peek at her present.

Also thinking about drilling the tank and making a sump/fuge...anyone have any suggestions on weather or not to do this?

Well I've just got to let the special polyurithane (sp) dry, then sand one last time, and add another coat tomorrow and the stand and canopy will be done.

THANK GOD! It's taken a lot longer than i thought it would. and it's going to my girlfriend tomorrow, for out 1 year aniversary. Kinda glad to get rid of it. It's been a pain making.

I'll be posting pictures sometime tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

Pictures from afar so you can see the custom work I finally finished.

a5c3e07d.jpg

Close up so you can see the rock work and what not. Everything is closed due to the light just turning on.

HPIM0570.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

man that is one classy looking custom canopy and stand. Can you hook me up with the plans? I want to build a pico just like yours. I have allthe same equipment. I just don't know how to set it up :(

Archived