inTank Media Baskets

Are these featherdusters?

Seanewb

Just got some chaeto yesterday and was checking on it today and noticed these. Are they feather dusters or tube worms? Also noticed that one of my snails got into the back chamber can you tell...hehe

Featherduster.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

they look like tube worms, tube worms have 2 rings of feathers, sometimes more. the feather dusters only have 1 ring of feather/quils. usually alot larger. or at least thats how all the ones i've purchased have been labeled.

hth leigh

reef hugger

Give them some time they will spread to the display area. I have tons more of them all over the place.

Looks like your Cerith snail was having some fun back there. ;)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

at big als, tube worms are $12 for 3, feather dusters are $14 each. theres gotta be some difference. all thier tubeworms are pink or blue. and there feathers dusters are brown and white.

They are very nice looking and it's good to know they will travel to the display area I look forward to seeing them there. Smart snail too went back there did what it had to do and crawled back to the display area...LOL

It has to do with their size.

Featherdusters (Tube Worms (because they live in a tube))are not limited to one type. They can come from very small to large. The large ones you are reffering to are commonly called Hawaiian Featherdusters due to their origin.

However, smaller varities do exist. Although, not all tube worms are featherdusters. This is true in the case of the Coco (X-mas tree) worm.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

theres a rock in my lfs its surposed to be an xmas tree rock (i belive the rock is part of the xmas worm, and very distingtive looking, like a coral skeleton but smooth.) the rock is about the size/shape of a foot ball. it only has 2 worms, one black, one yellow/white (1" tall) dont think they will ever sell that rock. i think they want $100. 10 years ago i purchased a fist sized rock with 20 or so worms for $15. wish i still had it! they are very cool. thanks for the info on the tubeworm/featherdusters.

leigh

• 2 weeks later...
steelhealr

Seanewb....just saw this post today. Good deal. I just picked up a "Hawaiian feather duster' today. They look great. SH

Archived