Cultivated Reef

Silver Linings

sNEIRBO

All right, the "crack fiasco" as it shall forever be known, is over. I usually try to be one of the "glass half full" type of guys, so I sat back to think about if there were any "Silver Linings" from this mess. Here's what I came up with -

6) My tank is now located in an area of my house, where in case the unfortunate should happen again (God help JBJ if it does) - nothing major will be damaged / destroyed.

5) My tank is now located in an area of my house that I would consider to be more thermally consistent - my basement. On even the hottest days, my basement never gets above 68 F.

4) When I initially set up the tank I made the newbie mistake of using Grocery Store distilled water. I fought horrible algae blooms for almost a month. When I setup Cube-2, I used only my own homemade RO/DI water.

3) When I initially installed my fishbowl innovations moonlights I stuck them in the back of the tank. There was not very good lighting of the front of the LR. When I setup Cube-2, I moved the moonlights to the front, and now have MUCH BETTER lighting of the display side of the LR.

2) I was never fully happy with the amount of LS in my tank. I added 15 lbs of crushed Florida Coral, and probably saved about 15 lbs of my LS from Cube-Uno, so now I've got 30 lbs of substrate instead of 20 lbs. Much happier about that.

1) When I initially set up my tank, I was not very happy with the configuration of my LR. I tried to do the open cave type of thing, and it just wasn't working. When I set up Cube-2, I did the middle of the tank mountain arrangement with the LR. MUCH BETTER. Lots more areas to stick corals when I start stocking the tank.

Yes, I do LOVE my Nano Cube! I've had more fun than misery with it - even considering the "crack fiasco". Now, on to further modifications and additions to the tank!

Cheers -

sNEIRBO

PS - Thanks again for all the sympathy! It helps sometimes to hear someone say "sorry for your bad luck".

Sparkling_Surfer

So happy to hear that you're feeling better about NanoCubes!! And things are looking much better for you. Good luck and update us with pictures soon!!

Archived