Pod Your Reef

Help to ID Hitchhiker

yellowbird53

yellowbird53

I got these with a zoo shipment today. All I have is my Treo camera, so I apologize for the quality. I have quarentined it for now. I thought it was debris, at first, but in the acclimation tank, it started to climb, trying for the sky. Any ideas, good, bad or ugly would be appreciated.

The first is the top of it. it is biegh in color, in the shape of a cross, with the side/cross bars, appearing to be behind the 'head, as it climbed like an upright cross.

th_Picture190_14Jun05.jpg

Shot of it upside down, (Foot) it appears whitish in color on bottom, with no descernible fila type feet, like a cenitepede, or such. More of a foot.

th_Picture191_14Jun05.jpg

Any thoughts would be great.

Namaste

BKtomodachi

Probably a micro-star. Many if not most are harmless, but there are reports that some types may or may not feed on hard corals such as SPS.

Asterina star. Be careful; I had some that LOVED to munch on protopalythoa. It wasn't just a hunch, and it wasn't just once.

asterina sp and do proceed with caution...as flo(caesar777) stated, there are certain species of asterina that eat soft and hard corals. my best advice for you is to take it out. no reason to chance your corals, right?

Archived