Top Shelf Aquatics

New member intoducing myself and a new 24g Nano Cube

Cable

I am a American living in downtown Toronto. I drifted away from reef keeping about ten years ago. I had a 2ft cube saltwater tank that I successfully maintained for several years while I was stationed in England. I found this board a few months ago and have been reading it with much interest. This Sunday, at my wife's urging to get back into the hobby, I rented a car and drove up to Aquarium Depot where I spent CAD$1000 on a new JBJ 24g Nano Cube DX, JBJ 24g stand, 27 pounds of cured Miakii live rock and everything else needed to setup and cycle a tank. 24 hours later I am sitting here looking at my new nano cube wondering how I am going to maintain sanity while I wait for it to cycle. Sigh.

I would like to thank the community here for helping me make informed decisions this weekend and for providing some entertaining reading the last few months.

Anyone live near downtown Toronto? I might need a ride back up to Aquarium Depot in a few weeks to get some stock. :) BTW on the subject of Aquarium Depot, Dee (the owner) was very nice. He sold me their demo 24g stand for a nice discount + a $25 coupon for livestock. Very cool.

EDIT: Added some pics to the gallery and inserted them here. Hope this works :)

15040nc24_day_one_full.jpg

15040nc24_day_one_close-med.jpg

I'm in the same boat. Had a SPS setup in the early 90's when I got out. I just setup a 24g nano about 2 weeks ago. Anyways welcome back to the hobby. Give us some pics of your setup. Do you plan on doing any mods?

I'm planning on upgrading the pump and adding a Hydor Flo. Also some sort of mod similiar to the cassette case skimmer mod. Eventually I'll upgrade the lighting. Speaking of lighting these tanks sure do run hot. Temps have been sitting around 81-82 all day. Fan situation really needs looking into...

Actually these hardwood floors have already survived an overflowing toilet that did $1000 damage to the condo below me. Very expensive event caused by a clogged toilet and a $5 flapper with a slow leak. I read about your experiences. Tragedy often occurs in the world of glass tanks. I lost a 60 gallon many years ago (bottom cracked from corner to opposite corner) and the experience nearly made me quit the aquarium hobby overnight. Turned out that the surface of the dresser that I put the tank on wasn't quite flat enough and had a very slight valley in the center that apparently the styrofoam sheet underneath the tank couldn't overcome. Looking back it was an entertaining sight, me rushing around my dormroom trying to find something to store my 6 nerfball sized red belly pirahnas while an 8 foot pressurized jet of water was squirting across the room from underneath the tank. Man what a incredible mess sixty gallons makes!

Afterwards I determined that I would always stick with the tank manufacturer's stands. I would be curious to see if any of these Nano Cube tank cracks occured while using the JBJ stands designed for these tanks. What stand were you using sNEIRBO?

sNEIRBO: That you were using a JBJ stand and still had a tank crack is worrying. After rereading your post about your NC cracking I saw the bit about it not being a DX. You said that the DX glass seemed thicker, I'm wishing that I had a caliper to measure my DX and compare to a non-DX. Might ease the little voice that keeps repeating "Please dont crack".

Cable -

My calipers are in my office. I'll bring them home tomorrow. I can measure the shard from the non-DX tank I HAD, and the current DX tank I HAVE. I'll let you know tomorrow what the measurements were.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't know the origin of the Miakii. The $$ is simply due to the fact that the price is in Canadian dollars. Check my location :)

Forgot to post this - in case anyone cares, I measured the thickness of the shard of glass from Alpha-Cube (original ano Cube 24G) and a shard of glass from the smashed Gamma-Cube (Nano Cube 24DX w/ LEDs) I received from JBJ. Both measured 3.84mm (0.152 inches for our metric impaired friends). That's a little more than 1/8", a little less than 3/16" thick.

I don't know if that's good or bad, just reporting what I measured.

• 2 weeks later...

Cable..just a friendly constructive criticism....I'd try and 'unclump' your rock more if you can....any chance at working with it a bit? Looks like the classic clump of rocks. You might get better flow and less dead areads if you can open it up a bit more. JMO. Welcome aboard. SH

Archived