inTank Media Baskets

10g - getting better flow

mattgreene22

nugz:

Sounds like really nice flow.In the meantime though, do you really think I NEED that much flow to keep sps like acropora?

I was inspred by Danano's 10 gal mixed reef.

He only has 470 gph on his awesome tank.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...20&pagenumber=2

If I can get away with what I already have rather than spend more money on bigger pupms, I would rather have it that way. What do you think?

Of course I'm sure you don't want to hear that since you've already invested in that very nice wavemaker system you have there.

Thanks for your input!!

i think 70x turnover should be enough... just watch out to have no direct flow. i pointed the seio downwards against the starboard, and the PH is pointed under the rockwork so no dirt accumulates down there... polyps are moving nice :)

hmm..

how should i position the seio behind my rockwork without interfering with the flow too much? or will hitting the rockwork be ok for more random flow? I'm confused someone told me that a seio 620 probably still would not be enough for sps acroporas in a 10 gal. what do u think?

2 MJ 400's with a a flow heaed on one. also i have AC150 on the back. the heads are pointed in a X. the only problem i have is that i dont really have an nice calm spot for mushrooms no to be blown away.

Cuse of Him:

Ok researched on the seio a bit. i may go with a seio 620gph, a microjet 450 at 117gph behind the rocks, and a small aquafuge with proteinskimmer at 295gph in my 10gal sps tank with a 1-2" layer of live sand. I hope this won't create a sandstorm. i wlike the look of sand and it will be good for sand critters and sand sifters.Unfortunately Imay have to deal with the seio eyesore because most likely I won't bee able to conceal it very well.. It's big!

I'm hoping a 150W reefstar with a 14K DE bulb will complete my 10gal sps setup. what do you all think?

Out of the year plus my ten gallon has been up I've used many of these types of pumps. Starting with rio, to maxi-jet, and finally a Tunze return pump.

-Rio's have a bad rep, but I've had great luck with them. I clean them every six months to remove calcium build-up. The shape is a little too boxy for me though, so I mainly use them as extra pumps

-Maxi-jets are my favorite cheap solution for great flow in a ten. A couple maxi-jet 600's hid behind your rocks would give some pretty nice flow. If you had all sps and you wanted some crazy flow, you could add two 1200's.

-Tunze this is way to big to fit in a nano, but its great for a return. The Tunze mini's are supposed to be pretty nice.

Air_Doc, the seio does seem a little large for a 10g, I would try a combo of maxi-jets, or build a closed loop.

ok thanks for the input below.i guess i'll try a pair oj MJ900s first. If that doesn;t turn out well, i'll upgrade to a seio 620.

thanks you all!

I think you'll be happy with the 900's. Theres going to be more flow output than you realize.

Also, if you plan to keep calcium levels high, make sure to clean these every 4-6 months in some fresh water with a little vinegar.

I'd look into adding a wavemaker if you intend on keeping SPS. High flow is great, but with a wavemaker you are able to create random currents that are more beneficial to coral growth than uni-directional currents. On my 10g I run an AC 500 and three mini-jets on a wavemaker.

• 5 months later...

ok I finally settled on the following for flow for my 10 gal sps. tell me what you all think. I'd like to try my first acro soon!

AquaC remora w/ MJ1200 @ 84gph

AC30 powerhead at 174 gph

Aquaclear 70 at 300gph

microjet 450 powerhead at 117 gph

Seio 620 at 620 gph.

Hmmm.. i believe tgat's 1295 gph or 126x turnover.

might be quite good, the only thing i would be concerned of is the number of powerheads. if they are all visible, it may be a sore to the eye. Ive got 2 seio 620s in my 10g tank, they DO move alot of water but IMO not enough although with my ac mini i should have 150X turnover. I would go with 2 seios and a small powerhead on a timer which switches on and off every 15 minutes or so. I will try that as soon as i am able to hide the powerhead :/

hmm... i thought about 2 seio 620s...

i'm considering the following if my current setup is not enough flow...

1. switching out the seio 620 for a seio 820

2. switching out the microjet 450 for a hydor pico 500.

3. switching out the AC30 powerhead for a MJ1200.

What do you think would be best?

Archived