Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

JBJ Formosa Fixtures

luv2jeep

I grabbed one of their 17" 2x28W (10K, Actinic) this weekend for my 10-Gallon. Some thoughts:

Pros:

- Nice-looking fixture

- Well-built

- Good light output

- 2 switches for dusk/dawn

- Twin cooling fans (see below)

Cons:

- Cheezy legs to mount on tank

- The fans

- TWO Cooling Fans

- Noisy Fans!!!

Does anyone have one of these and found a way to shut the thing up!? I love the hood, but I'm afraid the thing will take flight when I'm not watching it! It is LOUD!!!

DUUUUUDe I know what you're talking about. I got 36" 2x96 w Formosa DX and the Fans on it are LOUD! I'm going to take one apart get go to a computer store and try to get the really silent fans for CPU's. I'll let you know how it goes.

I made the mistake of buying a JBJ, it still had one ballast that worked after 6 months and one trip back to the factory.

Now I use it to remind me to research online before I buy.

this is actually the first time i've heard anyone complain about jbj's fans. anyway, i wouldn't suggest you run your lights without the fans because i'm 92.34% sure that you've got a 2x24w fixture and you said you're running 28w bulbs. i'm serious about the noise thing. are others noticing this too?

options with other complete PC hoods:

1. petsupplyliquidator offers their "solar" line without fans (yikes)

2. helios makes a fan-less system that's pretty much a retro-fit (remote ballast) with bulbs in a plastic looking aluminum shell

^you could do same thing. join the chat and ask STRYFE (aka strife) how to gut a jbj and in a sense, keep the jbj look, but modify the innards (ie replace the insides with a retrofit and ditch the fans if you're going to be so whiney).

Hmmm... I'll double-check my bulb wattage tonight. I could have swore they were 28's! But it is the 17" Formosa and I bought it brand new, un-modified, so they probably are 24's.

I'm thinking of just using one instead of 2 fans. I should get an audio clip! These suckers are loud!!!

As for other hoods, thsi is my 3rd lighting system with this tank. I WILL NOT buy another! I'll tear the reef down first! Seriously! More money to put towards the 180!

As for others ... didn't you see the 2nd post???

It should be a relatively simple job to replace the fans with quiet high quality muffin fans if they are that loud. Quality fans always provide a specification sheet(usually available online) giving maximum noise level during operation. Pick a quiet model with the same mounting, voltage and CFM and replace.

The new JBJ hoods are pretty sexy looking but sometimes beauty really IS skin deep.

I have the JBJ dx 24" with 2 -55watt bulbs.. This one is apporx 6months old. So I suppose this is one of the newer ones? I don't seem to nitice the 2 fans running on mine.. perhaps I am used to them.. You are right about the cheesy leg stands.. I got a good deal I think for this fixture and legstands.. under $200.00 delivered. I don't think I would buy a new one though.. I would be curious if these can be modified. with a better ballast and perhaps stronger bulbs. Anyone out there?

Which caused a ballast to burn out. I sent it back, paid for a new ballast, they did the fans under warranty.

2 months later the fans started making noise. It gradually got louder until... Yay! It stopped... oh wait so did the fan. X) Oh well, I kept using it.

About a month later 1 bulb quit working. I decided to take it apart and see what was wrong b/c it was also shocking me. When they replaced the ballast, they attached the new one with sticky tape, which in a hot humid enclosure didn't last long. The ballast had grounded out. So I put it back together and it worked again. By this time I had of course replaced the crappy thing with a DIY setup.

I recently put it on a 10G just for fun since I had the tank sitting around... about 1 month later, one of the bulbs is intermittent.

I am debating whether to repair it or throw it on the ground and stomp on it. ;) While there is some use in the two ballasts, and I like the housing... it's not worth the frustration of tearing it apart to fix it every couple of months. Too bad a fulham ballast won't fit. :

-Even the ones right from the factory use sticky tape.

I had the 2x24 burn out on me after a few months of usage to. JBJ will sell you a new ballast for $35... I bought two- but also put in an order at PSL.

In my case, it appears the little fuse blew- but I have no idea why, and since I can't really scrape it out to replace it. Not real comfortable with this fixture anyway. The wiring seems too small and cheap to me.

What other ballasts will fit in there?

~$50 for the ballast in my 2X55W

I think with a 2X24 you could get two fulham workhorse 1 ballasts to work. I think they will run up to 26W each and they are small.

Has anyone used these Fulham workhorse models with a nanoreef? They look to be quite sophisticated designs capable of driving a range of bulbs. How well do they drive them?

And a workhorse 3 drives a 55W PC bulb beautifully.

I couldn't get a wh 1 to light the 13W PC bulbs well, however it will light a 20W NO up fine. I am going to be wiring up another DIY 2X55W setup using a WH 5 soon also.

I like them a lot, but they can be hard to find.

I have the 2 24 watt Desktop Formosa....so far, within the 3 months that i had it..no problems with the noise, but 24 watt are hard to find...

are there any crazy people out here that are willing to try out 28 watt bulb in their 24 watt formosa? LOL

if you are..please let me know..you can by my crash tester... DOH!!!!

Well, I went back to the store and had them pull a few off the shelf to compare. It seems like 50% were quiet, 50% loud! I think the QA people at JBJ must be deaf!!!

Anyway, instead of taking my chances with a replacement JBJ fan, I'm ordering a ball-bearing fan online the same size. They may cost a few extra $$, but quiet as a mouse! I'll keep ya posted.

And for those with noisy fans, I'll post the model numbers if it works out.

Archived