inTank Media Baskets

woke up to find 19 of these on the glass

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

its the first time i've seen them in my tank(i did add a cluster of new zoos yesterday) i woke up this morning to find 19 of them about 1 foot up the glass. 1/4" spiralled, shell, pure white

any ideas?

thanks guys

leigh

sorry for the extra posts. i've been trying for 20 mins to post this thread, they finally all showed up at once. sorry guys

they look like malaysian trumpet snails

but as far as I know those are only freshwater

they also look like a type of snail that I alwayse see moving around the sand in the florida keys

sorry i know its not much help

anyway of getting a better pic?

Looks like a cerithra snail. I have tones of those little guys in my tank. I always see them crawling on the glass and sand bed.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

sorry thier so small (1/2 the size of the pic) that im having a hard time photographing them. the shell is pure white with about 10 twists in it (you can kinda make out the twists if you look at the silhouette of the pic.) the part that sticks to the glass (critter) is also pure white and looks like a tiny conche (seperate foot/head)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

so nothing to worry about? limpets. are they aquariun safe? i think i picked up a couple of those also from my zoo cluster. there pyramid shaped with not trap door so im assuming thats what they are.

thanks again guys

jenniebutterfly

looks like pyramids, which are bad if you have clams, but there is also a look alike that is a good algae eater. the difference is, when the snail is closed, look at the apex where the snail is and see if there is a small bump inside, hard to see with the naked eye but can be done. if there is a bump you have pyramids.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

these guys never close, even if you pull them off the glass (thats what i meant by no trap door) thats what made me think they were limpets. these guys are always on the glass and seem to eat both algee and coraline. i dont think there were clams in the tank, and there arent any in mine. (dont plan on getting one either) is thier anything else pyramids will eat?

I agree with jennie; pyramid and limpet, respectively. Do you have clams? If not, then there's nothing to worry about.

Archived