ReefCleaners.org

6x13W in 6g = 78W PC

crazywolf

i wonder if you could have just done a 70w hqi metal halide. probably would have cost the same, and had the same heat, but with better quality light output.

anyway, that looks cool and should work good.

I was going to do just that. However after some research here and else where I think the MH would be way too close to everything in the tank. It's barely a foot tall, so the MH would be like 5 inches from any corals on top of the rock. I figure PC lights are not as problematic in terms of distance. I almost ordered the MH but figured I should find more info. Plus this is my first SW tank so doubt I could keep the high end corals anyway.

I dig your 58g your setting up lgreen. I'm hoping if I do ok with the 6g to setup a 30g clam tank in a few months. I would go bigger expect for space and I already have a 30g empty and a 20L to use as a sump. I figure 50g or so of total volume will work ok. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on the 58g though.

Edit: In terms of cost the whole thing is gonna run me about 120$ including shipping. So not a huge difference, but I will be able to control the lights separatly like Larnie's hood. I will probably wire up the 4 outside ballasts together with 50/50's and the interior 2 with Actinic 03's. Then turn the 03's on a little before and stay on a little longer than the 50/50's. It's mainly about options.

32w bulbs are too long to fit in the hood. I needed something much shorter. 18W are the largest bulbs that will fit under the splash guard without drilling holes. You can really only fit 3 of those in the space. So 54W total and your stuck with only 3 bulbs. I already have 52W just running what I did this weekend. I will have 78W's hopefully by next weekend.

I have updated the website with the finished product. 52W's currently.

Originally posted by imafishboy

2x 32's does nearly the same thing

Originally posted by Rick J G

Nice looking light setup.

I’m glad to see more modded nc6 tanks.

Heck, I still think you should enter the contest.

Thanks Rick! Unfortunately I didn't know about taking the pic of the veggies until too late. I didn't start my tank until after the deadline but can't enter now without emptying the tank. Maybe if it's popular enough they will do another. I wouldn't mind doing a 24g NC ;) I'm eager to see what everyone does to thier 6g though. Check out the update to my light mod site. I'm not completely finished but it's running.

Originally posted by adinsxq

there is no deadline

Sorry I meant the date you couldn't start your tank before. June 1

• 2 weeks later...

Archived