Innovative Marine Aquariums

actinic?

reefan

I am fairly new at the science behind lighting and was wondering if i am running P/C lighting is having actinic bulbs necissary for keeping corals. And what exactly does the actinic do?

Thanks,

jj

actinic lighting is the blue light you see in most set-ups. i'm no where near an expert here but yes, actinic is required IF you are using power compacts but if you are using a MH bulb above 14000k than no, you don't need actinic. actinic provides the proper spectrum needed by corals and helps simulate natural sunlight in the ocean waters. it does a heck of a lot more than that but that'ss just the basic layout:)

Thanks for the reply. I was confused by the need of actinc because i have seen 210 gallon tanks using 8 55watt p/c but no actinic, and was o.k. Will this cover the whole spectrum on my 210? I know this is not a nano but im starting a 10g soon. I hope to after christmas. My 75g needs some work to. Thanks for the help. J.J.

you may want to do more light then 8 55's over a 210. thats only like a little more than 2 watts per gallon. if you can, do 8 96 watters, 4 daylights, 2 actinics and 2 50/50's(half daylight and half actinic.)

Thanks for the help. If i dont add any more p/c's im also thinking of maybe dropping 2 mh pendants over it. I am not sure yet. I'd like to eventually get a giant clam. Which would require mh's.

Thanks again

J.J.

Archived