ReefCleaners.org

Lighting

Samc

How much lighting do people reconmend for a 20 gallon long tank? I heard of one guy keeping sps frags in just 54 watts of PC(6 9 watt bulbs).I was thinking ethier 55 watts or 110 watts of PC (ahsupply.com). I wish to keep soft corals to begin with, and possibly adding sps frags over time

Sam

Originally posted by Samc

I heard of one guy keeping sps frags in just 54 watts of PC(6 9 watt bulbs).

Maybe Montipora or Pocillopora could get by under that lighting. It's certainly not ideal, and I doubt most SPS would do well. For your situation, 55w PC would be OK, 2x55w would be better. That'll give you enough light for LPS and at least the two SPS genera mentioned above. But if you have your heart set on Acros or other more touchy SPS, halides are the way to go.

Ummm

I am not exactly sure yet what corals I want to keep. I have no experince with corals, but some with anemones in my 75 gallon(: From what I here they are alot easier to keep. Has anyone had experince with the Aquatic Lighting Systems metal halid system? I think I might be able to get into that for cheaper than the PC lighting (If i build my own "pendent"). I have a strip light on the tank already (not setup), and would use that for Actinic lighting. Instead of the metal halid bulb supplied, I would upgrade to the 5500K Bulb (the 12000K is outrages!!).

Sam

Archived