Coral Vue Hydros

starting my new 1.6 pico! (few pics)

Jigsaw

Hey I'm new to the forums and I was just gonna show yall the beginning of my new pico reef. I have a 10 gal nano tank already and wanted to go smaller! Its a 1.6 gallon hex tank and I've acclimated 2 black mollies to SW already (just temporarily) and I got a new light and all. Just gotta put some more LR and stuff in it, thinking about some low light corals and such, any feedback or tips would be great guys!

.... man left the pics in my brother's digital cam, I'll have the pics later!

edit: haha yeah def zoos, but lemme give ya the specs

Internal Filter (not sure what brand but its working well)

Thermometer

no heater (I can put one in if needed, but its summer and my tanks don't get under 75)

10 watt eclipse fluorescent lightbulb

think that's it

If yall don't mind I'm going to keep a journal on here for kicks, I'm only 16 so it may be weekly since I mow lawns and stuff :P

Here's a few pics, this is just the beginning :D

im0005391pl.jpg

im0005406ks.jpg

im0005413wo.jpg

The SG is at 1.025 and the mollies are thriving :D

AND IM GETTING THE FAKE PLANT OUT ASAP lol

lol, my room or my tank :P! Kidding, yeah I'm anxious to do some cool stuff with this, you guys have any suggestions other than mushrooms and zoos?

oooooh yeah I know those, dunno if my LFS carries em, but I'll find out, remember I'm a teen on a budget :P. If I got zoos, would they spread throughout my tank?

mushroom head

Oh ya.Some kinds of zoos sread like weeds. Im only 12years old and i dont have alot of money so im having my 10gallon a sw planted tank.

neanderthalman

Looks like you're off to a pretty good start....what is the little airpump that came with the tank doing there.....you're not using the supplied UGF are you?

What is the color temperature of your light? It looks fairly yellow, and while corals will probably survive under it, they won't look their best. Coralife makes a 10W 10K 50/50 PC that fits in that hood perfectly, and it would improve the color of any corals you get.

Just a suggestion about your corals. Be VERY picky about what you put in there. You don't have a lot of room in there, and you don't want it to be taken up by a massive frag of some brown crap that you wind up hating. Get some wildly colored zoos for the front, and something taller and interesting in the back. I think xenia are a good choice, as once they are acclimated they are quite hardy and the movement is just hypnotic.

Looking forward to seeing your tank develop. Keep us posted and don't forget pics.

hey man I'm 16 too, I got a single zoo as a freebie about 2 months ago and now I have 4, so they will multiply. Obvisly being a star wars fan did you go see the third one, and if so howd you like it?

looks good so far

Ah, episode III was fantastic, I loved it :P.

No, I am not using that UGF filter it came with, I got this new one for like 7 bucks at petco; as for the lighting I plan on getting a new one soon, waiting for the LFS to restock :P.

I think next time I head to the LFS I'm gonna get these cool orange/green zoos I saw there, for 4 bucks a bundle I might as well! Plus, the yellow may be from my dumb camera, its more white-ish in real life, but I was worried about my zoos not opening up that much so I moved one colony to my 10 gallon nano ???

neanderthalman

Hey Jigsaw, just a thought on saving money. Find and join a local marine aquarium club. Chances are your LFS carries mostly entire colonies of corals, not small frags, and any frags they have are way overpriced. I can get frags from local members for far less what they sell at local stores, and they are always healthier and brighter.

hmm yeah I dunno if we have one in my city, but the guy gave me a bunch of zoos and other coral for like 5 bucks a bag, it was a really good deal. I have them in my 10 gallon nano, been waiting a while for them to open though.... any idea why they won't open?

Archived