SaltCritters.com

Trap a Bristtle Worm...

yellowbird53

yellowbird53

I have read many different Ideas for riding one's tank of these.

Are they harmful to Feather Duster Specific?

What is the concenceus on the best way to trap and rid one's tank of these worms? Thanks

Namaste

yellowbirdinc@hotmail.com

yellowbird53

Steelhealr...YPM is full. I had been led to believe that Bristles were anegative. please share your knowledge to the contrary, or any links, etc... Also I would like your advice re: temp variations in my tank affecting my Percs. I spiked to 84f. is this too much for them. Please PM, if you would so I can discuss with you.

.Namaste

Hey YB...the opposite it true..I haven't been able to post anything your your postbox..it's full. Bristleworms are turning out to be good detritivores. They can grow large. There is a growing consensus about leaving them in the tank. Sounds like a good poll. SH

I have a godzilla of a worm in my 12g.I dont want it in there no matter how good a detrivore it is.I also have many and I mean many smaller ones.I purchased the Trap em from coralife and havent caught one yet, although the bait is gone every morning, they can escape the trap I guess.

There are around ten thousand different types of bristle worms and all but 2 are considered okay for a home tank. Many marine biologists actually count the number of bristle worms in an area to determine the health of a reef. Like any other animal it will eat foods that it normally wouldn't if it is starving (too big for the tank) and thats when you need to remove him. As long as he not too big let it be.

Yup, bristleworms are fine in your reef . . . if you really need to get rid of them, have your turkey baster handy when you feed - when the bw comes out, just suck him up! But, I would just leave them in, they are fun unless you touch them.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed about 5 of these little centipede looking dudes in my tank last night when I was feeding the Hermit Crabs some submerged pellet. They were FAST little buggers, and kind of concerned me so I did a search this morning to see if they were pests and stumbled on this thread.

What I was seeing were about 1/2 inch long, maybe 20 or so sets of legs, grayish in color.

After the Hermits ate, and the little dudes ran back to their hole in the rock, I noticed a Scarlet Hermit go after them. He positioned himself against the opening in the rock and went in after them. I could see that he'd completely left his shell was in the hole in the rock. This morning the Hermit was back in his shell and moving around.

Will Hermits eat these types of critters normally? I wrote it off as "nature" this morning. I'll keep on eye on the corals in my tank, if anything starts to look damaged I'm going to "baster" the little buggers out of there!

sir winston mulligan

i have like 10 in my 2.5 the largest being 1 1/2 inches..they have messed up any coral..ive had snails die (lack of algae) and they will be gone by morning thanks to the bristle worms..

Bristleworms are generally fine. I have a couple 5+ inches in my 12 and my 37. Most are smaller though. Only thing out of the ordinary was I pulled one out of a closed up 3" diameter purple mushroom and it ha dlost the fight with teh mushroom. Never saw that before but it was a dead worm. Mushroom opened back up right away.

I would leave them alone but if you decide to catch, like I do when they get around 6 inches in my 12 gallon, just put a piece of shrimp or silver side in a small piece of women's stockings(panty hose). Just wieght it down on the bottom at night with the food inside. You may have a lot of stuff on it but it does work to catch bristleworms.

Archived