inTank Media Baskets

FUnky star polyp growth

NanoReefer53

i got these about a week ago from a club frag raffle. At first, no one knew what the heck they were other than the guy told us that they had green polyps, so everyone thought they were a type or gorgonian. He had 3 frags of these so the growth was like 8" . Now that the polyps have come out, they ARE star polyps, just grown into a strand. Weeeeiiid. I wonder if they'll grow longer like this. :P

star.jpg

Wow - never seen one like that. Don't think it'll grow any longer - I believe GSPs need something to grow onto for expanding their purple mats, but not sure.

Great pic... You people with [problem] algae-free tanks just tick me off.

It's another form of GSP....one that I don't see very often. It's called Briareum and it froms branches with knobby ends. It grows like gorgonians but without the skeleton ofcouse AND encrust on living gorgonians.

It's a very cool GSL strain......nice grab:D

Cameron

Yeup, it's a Briareum asbestinum, aka corky finger gorgonian. whoooooaaa :D

some guy on RC said he saw one in a lfs growing to around 10" high.

That doesn't look at all like Briareum to me. Briareum usually have long stalks with long, thin feathery pinnules. In addition, Briareum doesn't usaully have such bright white centers with green pinnules, the centers and pinnules are usually similarly colored. It looks to me like Pachyclavularia violacea grown over a dead SPS skeleton.

I have a piece of the same gsp in my tank that is wrapped around

a piece of tonga branch rock.The only problem is when it's fully

encrusted it has no where to grow and it starts growing little

cups and tubes,i dont even like my peice anymore.

when the polyps are retracted and the 'mat' is smooth, then it's likely it's briareum. if it's bumpy then it's likely that it's pachy. not a strict rule tho, check pinnules too. present~briareum, absent~pachy.

deacon,

i hate it when gsp grows on top of itself. when you end up fragging it, it's like untangling xmas lights! X)

Archived