Pod Your Reef

I'm being taken over!!!

Ihaveafish

Ihaveafish

I have no idea what these little things are. They are only about as big as the tip of a pen or a grain of sand. There are Hundreds of them. I can't get a pic because they are too small.

I saw them last night, and they were gone all day today. Now they are back! all of a sudden the whole tank is filled with these little things floating around. it's like something exploded and let out a couple hundred babies.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

could be shrimp.

one night i looked in my tank and i had 2 large white clouds circleing around in the current. (8" in diameter) one was in the bottom corner of my tank(30 tall) and one right dead center of the tank. this was at 2am. i turned on the dinning room light to find 1000s of tiny tiny critters. i have hundreds in the tank, and now there large enough to see. very small shrimp. not brine shrimp, these look like little lobsters.(not so much when there tiny, but you can make out the split tail when 1/4")

im not sure if they are mysid shrimp or something different. they swim very differently than the mysid i purchase for my mandarin, and they dont have the same kink/point in there back.

keep an eye out in the bottom of the tank. and in the rock. they seem to swim around in circles.(very fast) i have about 30 adult popping shrimp in my indo live rock. and hundreds of the small ones(1/8-1/2") at night if you shine a flash light in the tank, thier eyes reflect the light and seem to glow. even with the tiny ones. its like 1000s of cat eys staring at you in the dark.

my manderin seem to prefer to eat the mysid i purchase, and not the ones that hatched.

leigh

Ihaveafish

Thank you, They could be shrimp. All I have in my tank right now is two prpermint shrimp and one Maroon clown. My tank is young, only about three months old. The rock I bought came with a ton of little critters, both good and bad. I've taken out four crabs so far, and almost have the aipstasia wiped out. I also have quite a few feathers, two hermits, four snails, about 25+ anmone, and one Pistol. I don't know where the baby shrimp would have come from, but I'm not complaining.

Thankx for the help. I hope they are shrimp...

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

Peppermint Shrimp

found this on line about peppermints-Known best for their diet of aiptasia anemones. They don't always eat them but often do. They can easily be confused with camel shrimp which are not considered reef safe. Any two will form a pair and breed providing your reef with lots of natural food.

hth leigh

Archived