inTank Media Baskets

Question on Plate Coral

doncb

I have a green plate coral in my 24g Nanocube and noticed today that it is opening up around the mouth and you can see the skeleton inside. It has been puffing up at night like nobodies business and has been eating pieces of shrimp w/ no problems. There is no discoloration on the coral, just the problem w/ the mouth.

I tested the water and everything is normal (everything is 0)with the exception of dKh is 5 instead of the normal 8 - 10. Temp is 82 and sg is 1.024.

Everything else in the tank is doing fine including my Gorgonian, leathers, zoos, etc. Nothing else shows any signs of stress or problems. Nothing is close enough to have touched it. I change out 5g's of water each week (2.5g at a time. Weds. & Sat.)

Any ideas? Thanks!

FREAKIN CORALS, GONNA GIVE ME ULCERS!!!

Decided to do some maintenance and clean the back areas of the nanocube and do a full 5g water change.

Now the plate is puffed up and back to looking like it used to!

I'm tellin you. These things play mind games. I thought keeping fish was supposed to lower stress, etc.? Oh, wait! that's FISH they were talking about! Nobody said anything about a REEF! :o

Anybody have any ideas on why the plate looked like it was doing a stripteeze and now it looks normal??

Yeah, my plate once in a while looks a little brownish in parts I think when it's stressed and then when it's back to normal it's all puffed up like nobody's business.

Archived