Top Shelf Aquatics

Water Top-offs?

Surfer

I have a 5.5 gal that I would like to set up at work. The problem is that I am not at work every day and was worrying that on those days I wasn't there to top off the water, I might crash the reef due to too much evap. Has anyone had any experience with not doing a top off for a day or is this a major concern?

Here is some info about the setup:

I am the network admin for our company and therefore my office houses the servers. The temp is constantly at 65*F. I thought this could possibly keep evap down. The hood contains 2 ea. 13W PC's with a fan at each end (One blowing in and one out).

Please give your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Neil

If it will only go a day or two without top offs, you might be OK if you just cover the tank to minimize evap. But the safest thing to do would be to rig up an auto top-off system. There's a ton of info in the DIY forum about these.

I used to work in a server room enviroment. first off since the server room is gonna be 65 degrees your heater will crank all the time. secondly if you have to top off it means you are creating a humid enviroment for the servers. and i don't know if you have seen what a humid enviroment does to motherboards and such, not pretty. i mean i don't know how big your server room, if it is carpeted or not, how many servers.

rule of thumb, salt water and electricity don't mix. if you had a desk out of the server room that would be cool.

My opionion, but i don't know if you CIO would be to happy about the nano in the server room.

The server is actually in a seperated room, but the control for the server room also controls my office temp as well. I am seperated by a wall from them. The CIO doesn't care, I already asked him, and as for saltwater and electronics not mixing, I was under the impression that the salt won't evaporate:) , only the water. I think I might make a top off sys using a float switch idea I found on anothre thread.

Thanks,

Neil

well if you are doing a remote administrator that's kool. what i meant is that in the off chance your float switch malfunctioned saltwater on the floor. Off chance that is.

i am using i a float switch tha i DIY'd on my 5.5 gallon nano and it is sweetah!

i don't use a powerhead to top off, it is to quick for my 5.5.

I use a kent aquadoser for my 5 gal. It's really cheap. I know www.petsolutions.com has them. I've had a good experience with them. I've ordered several items from them, all well-priced. The first aquadoser they sent me was broken, I sent it back and they mailed me a new one without question.

Archived