SaltCritters.com

Test Kits?

Dustin

Due to my sheer laziness, I bought a tetra tec test kit from my LFS. I don't know what the reputation of those is. I'm pretty aggrivated though cause it constantly shows "nothing" in my system, and I doubt that I am that lucky.

I started my 10 gallon about a month ago and the test kit has shown 0 nitrates or nitrites or ammonia during the weekly tests. My water is always at 8.0 pH.

May sound foolish, but I just wish (just once) some sign of cycling would appear in the vials...

Lanotte is the best, but Salifert is what I (and many others) use.

Buy them all if yer serious.

See the "magical search button", there is a LOT of threads discussing this as of recent too.

Are lamotte any good? I dont mind the money if they are good becuase i have multiple tanks they will be used on. They are expensive but i want a good test that gives me a good reading.

Lamotte is widely considered the best of the best. See Dave's above post. I myself can't justify spending that kind of money on a test kit when there are much cheaper ones accurate enough for my purposes.

I bought the hagen kit from the same guy off e-bay. All of his stuff is new/unopened in the box. He is a pain though because he doesn't/didn't accept paypal and you have to mail payment to Canada which takes a while. He also seemed like kind of a jerk and never responds to e-mails.

Nice kit though. I am a test kit nut. I have the aquarium pharm. kit too, as well as some salifert, seachem, red sea and Lamotte's. The Lamotte kits (calc and hardness) were $5 ea. used at my LFS.

I have done some comparative work with 3 calcium kits. They never read the same but they are consistent with Lamotte's giving the lowest reading, then hagen , then read sea the highest. For example if Lamotte's says 412 ppm, Hagen is about 440 ppm and Red sea about 460 ppm. The thing to be careful about Lamottes is it measure total calcium not just CA+ so you have to adjust your readings by multiplying by .4 because it'll give you something around 1000 (which of course is silly).

Can't say as I have a real problem with any of the kits I've used except that some tests are very sensitive (e.g., iodine, strontium, magnesium) and it will take a few tries for you to get the hang of what the test results are supposed to look like because the color changes are subtle and the lighting and background you use can greatly affect your results.

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

Lanotte is the best, but Salifert is what I (and many others) use.  

Buy them all if yer serious.

As a matter of fact, I just ordered the entire set. Pricey, but so are dead livestock.

Edit: The Salifert set...

Archived