Coral Vue Hydros

Need ID for new coral

LiQuiD

I picked this up tonight with a few others and thought at first it was a flower pot coral but after putting it in the tank and actually looking at it, I know it is not. Would just like to figure it out quickly so I will know if I need to put it close to the lights or leave it on the bottom.

OK, I looked up the flower pot coral (Alveopora gigas) and as I thought, it will only have 12 tentacles on each polyp. While reading, it mentioned a similae species (Goniopora) that always has 24 tentacles. I am going to assume this is it. I have also realized that this is perhaps the hardest coral to keep. Great.

OMG, you bought a Goniopora. Nice going. Yea people kill these left and right. Very few live. And being "sucessful" is keeping them for around 2 years before they die. Most die WELL before that.

After you get your balls cut off for buying it, you should research them on reefcentral. It seems that feeding and feeding and feeding lots of larger meaty foods keeps them alive a little longer.

At least it isn't dyed.

I took it back and traded it in for a new toadstool leather. I put it in a couple hours ago, but it still hasn't fully opened. This looked really nice in the store and I should have gotten it to begin with. The flower pots are sooooo pretty though;)

GOOD that you returned it.

Do me a favor and necxt time you are at the LFS, call them dill-holes for me and if they say anything, give them the double NYS bird. If they give ya ######, Jump up on the front sales counter and say...... YER ALL MORONS !LLLLOOOOOOOZZZEEERRRRRRSSSSS !!!!

Ill Post Bail $

:D

Seriously....

Gonipora is haneious to keep. I tried REALLLY hard to keep a few colonies in a research project..... they kicked on me in 3 years for no reason I could figure.... NO MORE ! I need my rest and peace of mind.. F- Worrying about them.

hey guys, i have two little goniopora frags that seem to be doing well but i can not get them to stay in one place! the current constantly blows them around. can i glue them to a small peice of rock rubble like you can do with stonies? i notice that they have a hard, stone like bottem so i don't think a little glue would be a problem.

I looked at it for like an hour still contemplating before I scooped it out. I kept saying for $25, if it lasts a year thats like $2 a month to look at this beautiful coral. The toxicity thing was what got me I guess. I mean really, the amount of money we spend on these tanks, $25 a year for a beautiful coral, I was really torn. Spend more that that for ETD flowers that are dead in a week. Oh well, its gone now and I am happy with the leather.

where'd you get that goniopora for $25 in NJ? you did return it, right? hmmm :

jk :P, i'm not a stony type of guy anyway. i'm busy killing vermetid snails this week anyways. :angry: gonios are gorgeous tho.

metz,

if you're worried about glueing the frags try getting some clay flowerpots sized to the frags. i recently bought a bunch of tiny 1/4" and 1/2" pots for my leather frags. that would be even more appropriate for your gonio frags. ;)

Got it at absolutely Fish on Rt. 46 in Clifton. It is in the $29.99 each or 2 for $50.00 coral tank. I bought 2 from that (also the yellow polyps in above picture under new leather) so the breakdown would be $25 each. If your in Essex County, you may as well drive up, they had like 6 or so of them in the tank. I took the smallest one but most were like 8" wide by 8" high.

Archived