Pod Your Reef

Is this a goby or blenny?

TheNorthernLight

TheNorthernLight

Hello,

ok I just bought a new fish, that was sold as a "banded goby", however when I got home I took a closer look and now I'm not sure if it is a banded body, or a Sphynx Blenny ? Both are VERY similar, and I can't really tell. The part that is confusing, is the blue strips (this picture doesn't show it very well, but he has VERY bright blue vertical strips along his side, right beside the dark strips . Which from all the pics that I've read the Banded Goby doesn't have these markings. The other contradiction, is the eye marking on the tale, it's much more pronounced on this fish, then on the ones I've seen of the Blenny!

HELP!:*(

Is this

a) Amblygobius Phalaena

or

B) Aidablennius Sphynx

Oh, btw, as for behavour, he sifts sand, plus he has dug a hole for himself using both his mouth and tail. He also eats brine shrimp and cyclopese.

Thanks in advance,

Love this forum..

Spy

CLICK HERE FOR LARGER VERSION

TheNorthernLight

Thanks guys,

well Yoshiod9, good thing I'm upgrading to a 75G come mid-july. (after I move!)

Right now he's allready.. 2.5 - 3" long. tailtip to nose.

so I don't see him growing much more, very quickly.

the rest of the growth will probably be gradual, so I'm not too worried.

Plus tank size, I'm only a 20G High, but I have 30G of water (incl. sump). But I only have 2 young false perc's, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 mythrax, 10 - 15 blue hermits, and 4 types of coral. So I don't think I can stock anymore in here (except maybe another shrimp, and corals), but that's it for fish for now.

I tell you though, in one day he's practically cut my cyano / hair problem into nothing. another week or so, and it will be gone. Good thing he eats everything else I've fed him too! :)

Cheers,

Spy

Archived