Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hang on back refugium +

loganj

Here is a pic of the DIY HOB refugium I made the other day. Built it from scrap acrylic. It has an internal overflow with a 1" U tube. Filter bag is attached to the inside on the U tube. In the next chamber, there is a CC skimmer. Next chamber has a PH to return water to tank and the heater. Refugium chamber is in next chamber (approx 1/2 of whole box) with some 1/4" holes for water to get in. Mini jet PH returns water to tank from refuge chamber. Capacity is about 4 1/2 gal. Have it on a 10g tank. Upgrades will include reverse light for the refuge and a small venturi skimmer...possibly a Visi Therm...don't think a larger one will fit. So far, it works great. No water in the floor and fish is happy.

Logan J

Nice - so do you actually have it hanging on the back of your 10-gallon? Just curious - I'd be afraid to let that much weight sit on the back of mine, as thin as the glass is.

Laffs - it's not a physics thing. It's more of a "I got this tank at WalMart for $8, and it was probably inspected by some guy at the factory with no high school education" thing.

So you have to ask yourself, "Is it worth the risk?". My answer - Nuh-uh.

Yeah, it's hangin on the back. No problems so far though. Thing works better than I thought it would. It covers the whole back of the tank so I think there is plenty of support there for it. When I get around to building the stand/canopy, it will all be wide enough to support/cover the HOB too. For now though, it's just hangin out.

Logan J

Loganj,

It looks great. Is it possible for you to give us a list of what we need and best if you can give us a lil direction too? I'm sure there are people like me who want to replicate your refugium.

Sorry Kenicheema...just got around to looking at this thread again and saw your question. For a small HOB refuge, check at any local glass shop that does acrylic to see if they have scrap pieces that are of suitable size for your project. Cheaper than buying new stuff. Mine is (on a 10 gal) 18" long, 5" wide, and 11.5 tall. Cut your acrylic on a table saw preferably, although you could use a skilsaw if you were very careful. I use a paneling blade with no offset. When you buy a blade, look down the edge of the teeth...if they are straight, it'll work fine. If the teeth have an offset, the blade will chip the acrylic. The Oldham 7 1/4" paneling blade from Home Depot works well. Set the blade so that it comes through the acrylic about 1/8". Cut your pieces to size. I always build the top first and then sit it on the bottom piece. I use Weld On #3 and #16 glue. The #3 is the thin stuff and the #16 is the thicker compound. #16 will fill small gaps...you can use it exclusively if you wish. I use an internal overflow with a U tube on mine. You'll need a divider where the U tube comes in and another divider on the other side where the PH will sit. Anyway, when you get it all cut, tape it together with masking tape and glue it. Slide the dividers in and glue them in place. Make the internal overflow the same way if you want to use one. I glued mine to the refuge, but you can drill it and use the plastic bolts if you wish to have adjustable depth. These are also available @ Home Depot. You can see some better pics in the DIY forum @ www.aquariumadvice.com if needed. You want a slow flow through the refuge...I used a Mini Jet PH with icemaker tubing to return water to the tank. If you have any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them. I know others on here build these things and they may have more input or a better idea for you also. I am, as always, open to any opinions, ideas, or criticisms.

Logan J

PS: The best place I have found to order the glue is Ellsworth Adhesives.

Archived