Pod Your Reef

Hitchhikers galore... The Good, The Bad, The Ugly?

Darold

I got a great piece of LR for my new 2.5g species tank. However, it came with a bunch of hitchikers that I need to get ID'd. I definately got an ID on a black and white serpent star.

I'm pretty sure this guy is a nudibranch. Is this nudi good/bad? I am not going to place him in my main tank, but instead in a 2.5g black and white species tank. The other inhabitants will be Xenia, Dwarf Zebra Hermits, Black Nass Snails, possibly a black urchin, and a few other black or white species (black sand/hood/base). I know most people say no to nudi's, but will he be ok in that system? I know he will eventually starve to death, but even if I bring him back to the fish store, he is likely to do the same.

nudi.jpg

Here are the things I am not too sure about:

P1010167.jpg

P1010162.jpg

1) Dark dark purple matter. Hard, not spongelike. Much darker than coraline.

2)Same as above, but light blue in color.

3)Same as above, but tan in color.

4)5 sides face/Pinkish brown in color. Bad?

5)5 sided face/white. Hydroids?

I have the same thing as #1, but mine is a dark DARK Blue. It dosn't realy spread fast and it has been in my tank for well over a year.

I actually got it from "The Fish Store and More" in Atlanta. Normally I do not purcase livestock from them, but this time I realy liked this particular piece. It didnt look that great for a while, so I had them hold it for me for a week. Just the other day I got it because it was looking grat. Luckily I found the nudi before placing him into my 20L where I am keeping everything until I can finish setting up the 2.5g (hopefully tonight).

The tank is being re-located to the kitchen bar, since I had no way of hising all the wires of the 2.5g once we re-arranged the living room.

Good luck with that. If I didn't own an apartment, I would love to have a custom made tank that fit the bar-top perfectly. Lighting would be a problem, but it definately would be cool.

I think their corals are hit or miss. Sometimes they get good ones in, but a lot of the time I notice they are dying. I prefer Cap Bay/ Marine fish for most purchases (livestock/other).

Archived