Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

High temps in a stock 24g NC DX - is this normal?

Naado Fett

Naado Fett

Ambient temperatures have been relatively low in my apartment and I'm surprised at the temps in the tank. For example, the ambient temperature in the apartment was around 72 deg., but the tank was around 81.5 deg. +/- a few tenths of a degree. I'm trying to pinpoint what maybe the the biggest contributing factor. I am only running the stock lighting (2 x 36w) and the stock pump for now. I'm thinking maybe the stock pump runs warmer than I'd like, but I haven't had the opportunity to try different pump alternatives yet. I will try tomorrow because I'm not a big fan of the stock pump anyway. Can anybody confirm or deny the kind of heat output that the stock pump creates?

I was using a nanocustoms heatshield in the hood of my 12g at home before I moved out and the temps were just over 80 deg. in the tank and my room was upstairs where it was always a lot warmer than my current apartment so I am trying to see where the disconnect is. Nanocubes seem to have an issue with hoods running warmer than most would like, but I don't know if that really could be contributing to water temperature.

steelhealr

Wow..not sure why that is..I'm running:

1) stock pump

2) Maxijet 1200

3) Submersible 10 watt halogen bulb

My temps got close to that on a hot day without the A/C on. Fans working OK? SH

From what I've read on here the stock pump on those are pointed to often. I had a problem with my ebo jager 75w heater being off a few degrees if you haven't checked that out yet may wanna take a look.

Naado Fett

I should also mention it's not the older 24g model. I think splash guard is more enclosed from what I can tell. I don't know how that would make a difference, but maybe it does.

Seanewb has a good point.

ebojager heaters are often considered to be among the best and i set mine at 75 on the knob... but the heater would heat up the tank if it got below 80! so i just turned it down a bit and kept a steady 78-79

Nick-

If you arent running a heater and can isolate that as an errant source of heat. The next thing to examine is the pump.

Because of your revised canopy, the heat from the lights is more effectively vented, but heat removal from the tank is less pronounced since the fans are now covered.

The "bypasses" they built in should dissipate some heat. In the 2004 version, the fans did a great job of getting heat out of the tank, but at the expense of evaporation and increased corrosion.

I have a feeling that when we get your hood back to the shop, we can do some mods to minimize heat from the canopy. I would point at the pump at this time, since there shouldnt be any significant sources of heat.

Chris

Naado Fett
Originally posted by deadmanh

Seanewb has a good point.  

ebojager heaters are often considered to be among the best and i set mine at 75 on the knob... but the heater would heat up the tank if it got below 80! so i just turned it down a bit and kept a steady 78-79

I used an ebo-jager in my 12DX as well and it worked out well. I may use it again in my 24, but I figured I'd try out my Pro Heat II heater that I used in my bigger reef that I broke down about a year ago. Regardless of which heater I choose, the temps I'm experiencing are with the heater off. I have temporarily disabled the pump and will monitor the temps for a couple hours to see how the temperature fluctuates. I've been around 79.2-79.5 (depending which thermometer you look at).

I've got a via aqua 1300 I may use instead of the stock pump, but then again I have no idea what kind of heat that puts out.

Archived