Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bulb Life

MrGuyPerson

I did try a search for this but didn't find all too much. Sorry if it's been posted before and I didn't find it because of my poor phrasing skills. :) I was just curious as to what the average life expectancy for a 10k 175 watt MH bulb and 10k/actinic PC bulbs. The only posts that I found that gave any specifics were for "long life" MH bulbs from Home Depot so I didn't want to take that to heart. In my searches, I found that it seems that ballasts have a life expentency as well (shortened when over heated). Am I understanding that correctly? Sorry, I'm not too educated with this kind of thing yet. Thanks guys. I try to use the search as much as possible. I'm a member of several freshwater boards and I know how annoying it can be when the same stuff is asked repeatedly. Again, sorry if this has been asked before. I tried!

Actualy your post is very good and raises a point that many people dont realize.

Balast also have a life span. THIS IS THE EXACT REASON WHY SPENDING THE $ ON A GOOD BALLAST IS WORTH IT.

there are minor differences, and peole who sacrafice quality to save a hundred measly dollars see the results in shortened life of bulbs and excess heat from ballast. Lighting is the # 1 MOST EXPENSIVE aspect as of current standards for reefs for thise ho are "hardcore". Look at the japaneese styled ones. (there is a thread here some where to the title of"Slantie eyed reefers" I posted around May of 2002 they spend a small fortune of lighting.

Google.com has a great search basis fer aquarium lighting. Cmoreash recently found a good site fer retro ballast and bulbs.

Thread titled "HAHAHHAHA Look at what Ive found" or something to that sorts. www.cheaplighting.com I think. type Cheep Lighting in as a search on google. also there are a LOT of FAQs on lighting... spend a day and search the web.... When We say do a search, we dont mean JUST HERE....:happy:

FWOW, I use Ushuio, Iwasaki, and CSL systems. I have be SOLIDLY happy.

Archived