ReefCleaners.org

Cyanobactera, Red Slime Algae help

steelhealr

Steelhealr-- Very Nice article.

My tank is now 8 weeks and well on its way :)

I did have to fight cyano- I think it was mainly due to 18 gal tank with 24 lbs cure LR not being clean enough (turkey baster BLASTING)before I proceeded in turning it into a reef :)

After plenty of husbandry and fighting for couple of weeks - blasting , removing, waterchangeing, blasting etc--lol

Tried Chemi-clean 1st-- It does not contain erythromycin but works as an Organic matter oxidizer which in turns leaves it useless for most things to feed on (micro life). If you have a small amount of cyano it may work and can be used on monthly basis without causing antiboitic resistant cyano.

I resorted to 2 doses of erythromycin 200 mg caps 2 days in a row.

Got at LFS for 5.00 for use on fungal infections-- I had no iLL affects on any corals fish or good bacteria in filtration and cyaNO is gone.

Now I do realize I must continue good husbandry and keep in check. If cynano comes back I will probable brake it down and clean, clean, clean. In other words dont abuse erythromycin or you do have a great possability of producing a strain that is resistant to eryth.

It was my last resort but it worked Great!!!

Izzue

i wish i had a lfs that carried that stuff, i ordered chemi-clean online and it dindt do anything to my tank so now i used my money on it and dont have nay for the other stuff LAME

As posted earlier, I used E-M tabs. If you have erythro in the cabinet, same stuff. 250 mgs/tablet. Maracyn, not Maracyn 2, is equivalent. I used one tab on day 1; 2 tabs day 2; 25% water change day 3, then 2 tabs; 2 tabs day 4; 25% water change on day 5 and pulled my filter medium ( I used plain filter fiber as a temporary filter, not polyfilter which I would have used but was not available/on backorder). Then I added my old NanoCube activated carbon bag as I thought that would pull a lot of the erytho out. After one week, I changed back to ChemiPure and readded my SeaGel and Purigen. SH

ADD: E-M tabs were only about $5.00..cheaper than Maracyn I believe.

Careful with Erythromycin, and any antiobiotic--every time I've used it for cyano (did it a couple of times on a FOWLR I had a few years ago), it has worked but killed off one or two fish in the process. It's a bit harsh. I personally wouldn't use it on a reef... Also, remember that the key to keeping cyano in check is prevention: limit feedings, get a good skimmer, keep the water flow up, and eliminate unnecessary dosing (read into what you put into the tank, and don't go by what the bottle or the fish store say!).

the chemi-clean did nothing so i took it as a sign and am not going to add anything again, just keep doing water changes and hope it clears up. im saving for a skimmer aswell

Non-chemical means is always the first/preferred approach to dealing with cyano in one's tank. However, once it takes hold, there are some cases that are more intractable. As I've stated above, one must make an 'informed' decision on whether to add AB's to your tank. In my situation, weeks of water changes, siphoning and nutrient export were not helping and my corals were being overrun and were regressing. There are many positive outcomes and, IMO, the successful stories outweigh the negatives. Happily, I had a great result. As always, reading and research are the key. SH

• 2 years later...
I have a single rock in my system that though it is over a year old (tank was 8 months established when I bought it, and it's been 6 months since then), must still be having some die-off.

I say this because:

1. I have an 18 gallon tank.

2. I do a 10% water change twice weekly

Try a total 50% weekly water change. Either two 25% or one 50% change. Let's see if the bacteria has enough nutrients to hang around.

• 2 years later...
Damn... A thread that is almost three years old to boot!!! :huh:

Oldies are the best.... -_-

So My tank is cycling. 3+ weeks now and over the weekend I got the small clear bubbles on top and lots od purple - yay I thought. Upon reading (and this thread was is informative) I realized I got the red slime cyno.

Some facts.

Cycling 3+ weeks

No detectabel ammonia

Nitrates 5.0 ppm

Have Stve Urbanks basket with polyfiller and chemi pure for 2 days now - after the red slime breakout.

I did add 10 blue and red leg crabs and 10 astera and margarita snails 1 day ago.

My question - Should I do anything at this stage.(The LFS did manage to sell me the Ultra life red slime remover, but I have no used it). Shall I just the the cycle continue, should I treat it with teh ultra Life or Chemi-clean.

Should I do a water change (not cycled - I think) - clean with a T-Blaster - or just wait......

• 1 year later...

Archived