Cultivated Reef

Got it started

johnfaas

I got my Eclipse sys 6 started this past week !

So far I have 5 - 6 lbs of cured live rock in a 20 gal with vho lighting to give a little extra curing.I replaced the light with the custom sea life retro,(1-28 watt day,1- 9 watt act. ),it fit fine.I have a mini power head set to go.I removed the stock filter to fit light,do i need a hob? I am in NJ does any one know where to get small amounts of live sand ,(local only sell by the bag ?).Should I get more LR or save room for stock on rock ? Should I use the water I am cycling rock in or make a new batch ?

Well i guess thats enough questions for now !

Thanks johnfaas@comcast.net

You can get sand by me in a few places. The best place would be on Rt. 46 in Clifton called Absolutely fish http://www.absolutelyfish.com/index.htm . They have 2 200 gallon LR curing tanks with lots of sand and coral debris in the bottom of them. Lots of life in this stuff (actually too much sometimes, found a bristle worm in the last batch). This a a very nice place rated in top 5 in the country. They have tons of coral and such by are kind of expensive (forget getting dry goods here). There LR is 10 bucks a pound, but if you want some good bargain LR go to Reef Encounter (don't know web address) in Hackensack. They have nice fully cured Fiji for 6 bucks a pound. Both of the above have nice corals but if you are looking for cleanup crews (variety and cheap) go to Pet Place on Rt. 23 in Wayne. Petplace has not many corals but nice fish and tons of crustations (Emeralds-$4, Hermits all kinds-$2, Astrea snails-$2 pepermint shrimp -$4 etc.) If your on Rt. 23 and want to see some nice corals go further North to Animal House in Butler. They don't have a huge amount but have some really nice corals and some tonga branch if you are looking for it. There are tons of places around here but the above mentioned would be the best bets. Good luck, and once you get going, if your local to me, we can trade a few frags maybe, *hint* *hint*

Good Luck

I don't know about Absolutely Fish. I bought an Alveopora there a few weeks ago. They told me it was a gonipora and that such corals were very easy to keep. I guess I will eventually have to learn the hard way.

Archived