ReefCleaners.org

Photo NERD

photo64

Hello,

I am posting this thread to hopefully help others on the forum. I am an Arizona local photographer and do it for a living so I wanted to extent my expertise to every one that has any questions about photography. Try to keep it Reef related, but if you have and other questions that are not, you can email me at info@sampotts.com. Otherwise, questions ranging from general basics of photo to advanced stuff like photoshop, digital formats, cameras, digital workflow, etc. No question is considered dumb by me, so please ask away!!

If I cannot answer your question, I will do some research to get you the best possible answer. If your really interested or just bored, you can look at my current portfolio at http://www.sampotts.com you will need flash player to view it.

Have an awesome day and don't forget to do your water change!!

Sam Potts

Good portfolio.

I know one of my main problems is capturing fish that tend to move quickly. Unfortunately, I don't have an SLR, but my point and shoot does give me moderate control over exposure settings.

But as someone who knows the very, very basics of exposure settings, I don't really know how to capture clearly a quickly moving object as well as keep the frame adequately lit.

I think I need to keep my aperature open pretty wide and keep my exposure time down to a minimum, but I don't know for sure.

Correct me if I am wrong. So you are trying to get a picture of some fish but they are moving too fast and the pictures are coming out blurry? Given the options you have without a SLR, your camera might not be able to stop the action of a fish moving very fast. An SLR would have a shutter speed of like 2000th of a second and be able to adequatly make the best picture.

Now if your camera has some manual functions, play around with those and see what works. If your camera has a sports mode(the little running guy icon) that might work to stop action. Does your camera have an option that says tv or av? If so, try putting the mode on tv, which gives you an option to control the shutter speeds and still have your apeture on auto.

Lighting. Depending on what kind of lights you have, any power compact or MH would be enough to keep things lit very well. If its not enough, try to play around with your exposure meter on your camera(if it has one)

I hope this helps. send me more info if you need more specific help.

sam

Archived