Pod Your Reef

shipping frags

JGoslee

second2n0ne

Attatch the frags to something that is bouyant...a piece of styrofoam works well.  Place the frag attached to styrofoam into a bag of water from your tank.  Double/triple bag it and fill the bag with air from a airstone pump (kinda like your LFS does).  Place it in an insulated container and also place a heater pack with it.  Heater packs are $.99 and available at camping stores, Walmart (camping/sporting goods section).  Make sure there is enough packing material around the bag to ensure it does not bounce around during transit.  HTH

I've heard of shipping them in little thermos containers. The kind kids use in lunchboxes. That should keep the temperature ok as long as the shipping is just a couple of days.

toyfreek sent me a piece of frag in a fil container with water. the container is surrounded by shredded paper so it wont bounce around in the box. when i received it, the water and cool and the frag seems to be doing good.

my i meant film container. the thermos little kids use will add more weight. man if you live near a university, their labs always have stero-boxes. i work in a biochem lab so we get stero-boxes everyday, since we use so much dry ice...they use it in experiments, but i use it to get my sodas cold.

actually they aren't film containers they are Urine specimen jars I found at the surplus store for $.15 each.

Thermoses are best but shipping increases greatly.

HTH,

Toy

(Edited by Toyfreek at 9:30 pm on June 4, 2002)

i had thought they were film containers because i heard you and 53 talking about it. i was kinda puzzled at the size of the container itself. what kinda film would have come in that container. who would have thought it was a urine speciment container.

thegr8tdane

thats good I thought I was slow or something cause it did nt look like a film cannister. I read that post with the 2 of them too.

Lizbeth,

Spelling isn't my thing sorry, also from the spelling of my user name in your post it's not yours either:)

Toy

the reason we didn't use film containers was we were shipping branching sps's and they were too large for the film cans. I liked em so now I'll use em since they are so cheap and large. they afford alot more water and air than a regular film can.

Toy

Archived