SaltCritters.com

Which HOB filter for a 7 gallon AGA?

Chineseghoststory

Chineseghoststory

I currently have a Whisper Power filter on the back of my 7 gallon AGA, but i gert the idea that unless I turn the flow all the way down it's just to omuch current...I already have a power head in there and the flow from the filter tends to move the sand unless it's down all the way.

Is a Tetra Tec 150 a better idea? Are they pretty quiet? Is the 100 watt internal heater unit that can be incoroprated into this filter too much wattage or is 100w okay for 7 gallons? Does the Tetra come with any way to aim the flow output?

Thanks,

Jeff

I've heard the TetraTec is noisy. I was running a Marineland Penguin Mini, which was really good, it was just getting worn out, and didn't fit my heater inside of it. I switched to an AquaClear 200 yesterday and it's not too much current, though without the rock breaking up the flow out of the filter, it would move my sand. My anthelia polyps get the most direct current, and they're just waving gently. This filter isn't as quiet as the Marineland one, but it was the exact size I needed.

Oh yeah, I have a 7 bow too.

The Tetra Tec are kinda noisy. On my 7 bow I'm using an Aquaclear 150 and no additional current. On my old bow I used a Aquaclear Mini with a Rio200 and the flow was descent.

I don't think any HO power filters have flow output direction conrtrol.....it might be kinda nice though...

Cameron

When I put the microchiller on it is attached to an aquaclear mini and it runs real quiet. The only problem I have had with the mini is that when the power goes off (circuit issue or when I unplug it for cleaning) it sometimes needs to be "toyed with" to get it started again. I take a little wire like device, clean out the impeller area and then plug the sucker in and it usually starts working right away. The filter bag was never used (iceprobe takes up too much space) and I tossed the bio wheel for no specific reason other than it never really turned well with the water flow.

• 5 months later...

100w not to much just set it lower

flow direction yes swivles 180 degrees

quiet hell no

but it is a very awesome filter, as long as you don't mind the sound of trickling water

100w not to much just set it lower

flow direction yes swivles 180 degrees

quiet hell no

but it is a very awesome filter, as long as you don't mind the sound of trickling water

harbingerofthefish

Since the noise is caused by how high the out puts are from the water, couldn't you just cut some pvc and extend them down a bit? My 150 is quiet (internally wise) is just the water coming out and splashing that makes the noise.

The thing with the tetra-tec is the gph is not adjustable. You lessen the flow through the output and that starts the wet/dry/surge. But you can put a directional thingy on the surge out put too.

The flow is adjustable, and the heads swivel and are turned upwards a bit. Mine runs wide open with no sand movement, but a gentle sway to stuff in the tank. The noise that everyone complains of it the tidal flow (The flushing toilet). If you leave the siphon valve fully open, and use the flow adjustment on the inlet, you can get the flow you need, without having the "flushing" noise, and its as quiet as any other filter.

OR you can buy a filter with and adjustable output. I have a wisper on a FW tank that is adjustable. But I like the heater in the filter to hide it.

Archived