Pod Your Reef

Need help on a calcium issue

HobokenAddict

HobokenAddict

I currently run a MB7 Berlin style with all photo synthetic corals. Mostly they are softies, but about a month ago, I added 4 SPS frags, I think they are blue tip acro, and some other acro that I'm not positive on. I run a 70w 14k hQI and a 2x32 all actinic. I use reef crystals salt mix now and make changes about every 10-14 days. I add seachem reef complete and Kent phyto 1x weekly to the tank.

I check my calcium about 1x per week, and it always seems to be at 550. I've verified this with two seperate titration kits. My SPS are all polyp extended, and they are starting to grow onto the rocks where I glued the frags, and i haven't had any coral bleaching. My question is why is the calcium levels so high, and not going down? Could my corals be leaching calcium into the water?

Everything is growing, and I don't have any algea problems, low nitrates, but I would like to figure this out.

Suggestions or questions?

Flananuts the HobokenAddict

I can't explain the high readings of Ca. If you're seeing growth and no adverse effects with these high readings I would stay on the same program. Document your findings. Live corals will not leach Ca into back into the water.

HobokenAddict

thanks, I'm going to do another water change, and take a new reading of the oxygenated saltwater to see what it is. I'm more concerned about high levels of CA hurting the corals. Are there other minerals in the water that can affect the consumption of Ca?

Check you Ph and Magnesium levels. If there good don't worry about your calcium level. As long as it doesn't go up higher.

BKtomodachi

Many people advocate keeping levels as high as 525-550 anyway, so it probably isnt a huge issue.

But, was one of the tests you used reputible? Seachem (iffy), lamotte, or salifert?

i have crabs

The high calcium isnt going to be bad for the corals, but you should check your alkalinity levels. If you have high Ca, you probably have low alk. Low alk water is considered unstable and COULD cause drastic pH swings.

corals use up calcium in the water.. they don't leach it back. Although that would be kinda cool.

What salt mix are you using? I'm guessing Oceanic because it has really high calcium levels.

Follow the advice given here and check your pH, alkalinity and magnesium. THe first two being the most important.

also why are you adding phyto if you have all photosynthetic corals?

If you are adding something beside the Salt when you do you water changes then that is the problem. Why are you adding Reef Complete and how much? Check you levels AFTER a water change, before you add the Reef Complete. If they are fine, then DON'T add any thing.

It seems to me the water changes are enough to maintain your levels. So, you might not want to add anything.

JMO

Bob

HobokenAddict

Thanks, everyone

I will go the next month without the reef complete nor the phyto. Jpizzle, I have sps, and proto palythoa, ricordia, and woods polyps, and I've been told they will benefit from the addition.

Thanks again.

HobokenAddict

Alright, so let me first say that I was adding reef plus, a vitamin and amino supplement, less than 1/2 capfull for 7 gallon tank. Also, I prepared a water change last night, SG 1.0245 and the Ca read 350. I do have 2.5+ inches of carib sea aragonite and 2lbs of garf grunge in my tank, so could that be whats pushing my ca above 500. I'm totallly confused.

Are you using tap water? I had the same problem (high Ca for no reason) and finally pinpointed it to hard tap water. I now use RO/DI and my Ca runs 460 or so. Before my Ca was quite high.

~chris

If you Ca is that high, what is your alkalinity? These have an inverse relationship. Meaning, if the Ca is way high, as is the case here, the alkalinity must be way low. Test the alkalinity, I 'll bet its low. Try using a product such as Seachem's Reef Builder to raise the alkalinity and, in turn, lower the Ca.

if it's not broke don't fix it....if your acros like the high calcium and nothing else if effects i would leave it, if you do trying to tweak your system you could cause more harm than good. while being high your calcium isn't excessively high. your alkalinity is problably low which could attribute to a lower than normal pH so i would check alk. and buffer if needed, but don't worry about the calcium if your acros are growing your doing something right.

HobokenAddict

I have a 5 stage RO/DI filter system. I will test the alkalinity, and retest PH tonight after I get home. Thanks again. i do have reef builder, but i'll run my tests first and bring them to the thread.

My sps and softies are thriving because I'm running a 70w DE HQI 14,000k and 2x32w all actinic bulb, the MH comes on first for about 2 hours then the actinic follows. The MH only is on for about 5-6 hours because of heat, then the actinic stays on for the rest of the photo period. Once I get my sump finished and install the ice probe, then i'll probably increse the MH photo period.

Archived