Coral Vue Hydros

Hydor Flo on an existing Nano?

PaulP

Has anyone retro'd a Hydor Flo onto an existing JBJ12 tank? I've got a pretty good buildup of coraline around the outlet. I am guessing that would have to be cleaned off.

Do you cut the end off the existing outlet? I have a first generation tank. The outlet has a small hole and a diaganol cut on the side for water outlet.

Thanks

Paul P

OMG READ THE POST!

There is one right below this..Look before you type.:)

Why would you make another post when there is 4 pages of that info right below this?

Mine and most of us it was set up and stocked with coral. It is easy! Remove the nozzle, it snaps off. Find which connector that comes with the hydor flo fits your tank and stick it on. That is it! Nothing more to do. Takes 15 min if you decide to dremel off the ring.

I did mine last week and the tank looked like this.

95.jpg

Thanks, webGuy.

Did you dremel out the inside of your existing outlet? Mine is cast into the backwall with a "side slot" Adding the Hydor will dramatically restrict flow if you don't, I think.

Paul P

Upgrade the pump as discussed in the other thread. Your making this way harder than it is. You don't remove the bulkhead. Just remove the nozzle! Pull it right off. It will snap off. Then one of the adapter peices it comes with will fit into that. And then the hydor flo just snaps on. EASY!

Hey PaulP I know exactly what your speaking of. My Nano is also one of the originals and I hate the fact that I can't change the direction of the nozzle because it's some peice of plastic molded onto the back of the tank which is a "The outlet has a small hole and a diaganol cut on the side for water outlet" as quoted from PaulP. I also hate the fact that I have to have my magnet cleaner inside the tank just to deflect the water from the nozzle. Since I can't adjust it, it clears the sand from the entire middle left of the tank. I would love to know how I can remove that piece of plastic to install a nozzle I could adjust.

I don't get what you guys are talking about. Pictures would be great! I am going to my LFS tomorrow. They have an older version with the splash guard that does not go all the way back. I will look at it to see if it is different. I do not think it is. I looked at it before.

artarmon42

Ah I get it now.

One of the Hydor Flo's attachment is marginally larger than my 12DX return nozzle. The Flo's attachment is rubber, so they stretch and flex. Find some way to attach it (I'm thinking black all-plastic cable-tie) and viola!

Here a couple of pics of the "Nozzle" I and PaulP speak of. Please give us any input on how this can be changed to something that can be adjusted...

Thanx

Can't wait to have my cube up and running. I have an awesome idea for water circulation which I'll be working on next week, while I'm waiting for my jaw to heal after getting my wisdom teeth removed. :*(

Oh man... that whole wisdom teeth thing is a pain.

Make sure they give you vicodan.

That's a really good idea for a mod... someday I'll have to set up a nano cube...

Webguy: That's a 12?

Art:

Where do you mean around the nozzle itself?

Also as an FYI, I have another 12 gallon here which is the newer model and I can take the directional nozzle off of that cube as it snaps off just like you say. I took that nozzle and tried to fit it around the nozzle you see pictured and it doens't fit around it. The molded nozzle is too big.

artarmon42
Originally posted by compulou

Where do you mean around the nozzle itself?

Originally posted by artarmon42

One of the Hydor Flo's attachment is marginally larger than  my 12DX return nozzle. The Flo's attachment is rubber, so they stretch and flex. Find some way to attach it (I'm thinking black all-plastic cable-tie) and viola!

Here are some pictures of what I'm thinking...

Use one of the Flo's attachment (it comes with 4 or 5 I can't remember, but they're all different sizes) that is the closesst fit.

Insert the Flo into one end of the attachment first.

Then put a cable-tie on the other end.

Here's a picture of one of the attachments with a cable-tie.

flo-oldnc1.JPG

Then put the other end of the attachment around the Nano Cube's return nozzle. Tighten the cable-tie until the attachment is secure. You might need to lower the water level and properly dry the area around the return nozzle first for maximum grip.

Here's a picture of the rubberized attachment with the cable-tie in place. Notice now the end flexs/bends because of the tightened cable-tie.

flo-oldnc2.JPG

Wow, this is getting strange. Just get a piece of 1/2" locline. Just one of them and some super glue gel.

Drain the water level down below the nozzle (turn off the pump). Run a rung os super glue gel around the end of the wider part of locline.

Slip it over the nozzle and hold it in place until it dries.

Return the water and start the pump.

Viola, instant succes. You can also add all sorts of 1/2" locline attacthments like nozzles and such.

Locline_tn.jpg

-jmt

artarmon42

Yeah that would be much less ghetto :P

Personally, I've not had much luck with superglue (gel) on plastic... Maybe just me :blush:

CompuLou

Went to my LFS and studied a new Nano 12DX. Those of us with the original versions have a totally different tank.

To clear the existing outlet and mount a HydorFlo is going to take Dremel work. Not real wild about doing this on a running tank but what ya gonna do?

I also understand why the guys with the new DX style don't talk about skimmers. It would be a major problem to mount one. I guess we are lucky in that respect. My tank is better as a result of the skimmer.

I've ordered a Hydor, I'll record what I go thru to get it mounted

Paul P

Paul:

I have a newer version 24 and I use a hydor flow. My problem was that I was getting too much splash as it is so close to the surface. I actually had to cut off the existing return port,that is molded on to the back wall, and holesaw to accommodate a 1/2" bulkhead. I did this with my tank up and running. Just drain out enough of the water to allow for proper working room and take some plastic and tape to make a safe area for the shavings to be caught in. I did this in both the display and the sump area. It worked out perfectly with no impact on the inhabitants. It took me about an hour to complete. It shouldn't take you much longer. Just plan it out ahead of time and be confident.

Good Luck

PaulP,

Yup we do have the older versions of these Nano's. I have had no problems what so ever with it so I can't really complain. I would however love to fix that issue with this nozzle. I also ordered a Hydor, will see how much fun this thing will be to install. Like hvacguy mentioned he had to dremel. I'm not to bad with the dremel so I'll give it a shot as soon as I get it. Let me know how yours is doing as well Paul.

Later

Archived