Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Skimmers in NanoCube

PaulP

I mod'd a Lee's Protein skimmer to fit my JBJ12 NanoCube. Been up and running for about 1 1/2 years now.

looking at the boards, it looks like not many are running skimmers. Reason? have they fallen out of favor? Or just too much work to fit in?

Paul P :*(

Yeah Paul I'd love to know how you got a skimmer to fit in the cube. My cube is just like your as it is an OG. LMK.

Thanks

I to wonder if there is a Protien Skimmer that we could HIDE behind a Nanocube 24g. With some lite modes to get water to skimmer....

Is there something that can run stand alone with no sump ...

I'm going to try tinkering with my Prizm once I get my new AquaC for my 40 gallon. Best case senario: just a few cuts in the hood to allow for the intake tube to fit into the chamber and allow the skimmer water to flow back into the chamber. The powerhead is mounted below the skimmer, so you don't need room in your chambers for an external powerhead like on the Remora or the BakPak.

• 2 months later...

Hey Paul -

Lot's of discussions about Protein Skimmers for Nano Cubes these days. Any updates on how your Lee's Skimmer is working? Any pictures? Did you need to modify the collection cup to make it work? Are you running it 24/7 or on a schedule?

I installed a Lee's skimmer in my nanocube when I mod'd it 1 1 /2 years ago. I have an older style unit (OG?) so the fit is a little different. The light splash guard does not go back over the fans.

I cut out the fan hole on the right side and the skimmer cup sticks out thru the top of the hood. The body fits down into the 3rd chamber.

Works well although it is very sensitive to water level to be successful. I've installed an auto-top off and that helped a lot. The cup does a pretty good job of cutting the crud.

I am not sure about how this would work on the new style hood. You would have to cut thru the splash guard to make it work since the Lee's is taller than the tank.

I've attached a picture of the cube. The only mod to the skimmer was I added a 2" spacer to the bottom to help maintain installed height. It was moving around when I took the cup on and off. Other than that, it is a stock Lee's small skimmer.

Paul P

The internal shot doesn't show much, it is all contained in the third chamber.

The tubing gets a little crazy, there isn't much room and you need to be careful closing the hood.

The little white block on the left is my float switch for an auto-top off. The yellow strip is to raise the back wall to try and keep a couple crabs in the front chamber. They like to explore the back.

Paul P

Nice work Paul, I'm setting up a 12 gallon for my wife soon and this sets one concern aside. You said that you installed an auto-top off system in your cube can you give me details on which one and where you placed it? Thanks.

My auto-top off is of my own design. I use a 12v pump in a 2gal water bottle below the tank. The float switch thru a relay, triggers the pump as needed. Float switch came from Graingers but it is low VA type. I have burnt up two so far. In the process of rebuilding using switches from floatswitches.com.

The pump is a fuel pump from model airplanes. The tank is a two gal water bottle sold at WalMart for refrigerator use.

Paul P

Archived