ReefCleaners.org

Outbreak ID

NoobReefer

NoobReefer

I have this stuff growing all over the tank. It's growing on the sand and I can't seem to make a dent in it.

Is this cyano, dinoflagellates or what?

Tank Specs

SG : 1.024

Ammonia : 0

Temp : 79.7

Nitrate : 0

Nitrite : 0

Phosphate : 1ppm <-- working on lowering this.

Pic attached. It has air bubbles trapped in it. I didn't get the bubbles in the pic.

Help?

TIA

Ihaveafish

That is Red Hair Alge, from what I've seen. I Had a small outbreak. I'm not very reef wise, but my buddy that is helping me through this had a sponge for me to put in my filter. It's clearing up pretty quick.

I would go to the LFS, and see what remedies they have for Red Hair Alge. From what I hear this stuff can ruin your tank.

You can start slowint it down by turning the lights off and keeping the tank out of the sun.

i had cyano one time wayyyy back when. do some real big water changes(to get rid of your phosphate problems), feed less, and make sure that your tank has decent flow. those are the three problems i had.

interesting thing i did was let it go, if you dont have any fish or corals your tank will cycle kick ass style, this is assuming the tank is not old or cycled yet. But if you let it go and just do water changes it will eventually dissapear and most of the decaying matter in your tank will be gone, i did a pico this way and it is so clean and cycled its unbelievable. as far as i can tell it did not hurt the life in the tank at all, many natural things came from the rock. Be forewarned though ive only observed this once, but in theory it makes sense.

Archived