Cultivated Reef

Do clownfish dig?

lizbeth

Since they are the same family as my crazy damsel I was wondering if they dig in the sand. Newman has dug himself a fine cave under the rock on the right side of my tank. I push the sand in and he pushes it out. Keeps him busy. :)

I'm trying to make some decisions about stocking the 20 and clownfish are on the list of choices.

if yours digs, than clownfish dig.  I had a clown that used to pick things up with its mouth and move them away from its home.  Made it very difficult to stock that area of the tank with corals or shroom rock.  The little bastard was pretty strong and when it couldn't lift, it knocked things over.  I ended up putting it in my sump until I could find a suitable home.  

Clowns are very fun to watch and they aren't the least bit shy.  The only problem I have ever had with them, besides the aquascaping episode, is that they can be rather aggressive towards other fish.

I've haven't seen my os. clown dig in the sand.  This of course,  doesn't mean that they don't.  Newman is your damsel or a clown?

Newman is a yellow tailed damsel.

I'm worried about digging in the bigger tank because the "chair" rock weighs 10-11 lbs and it's stacked on top of other rocks. I could see problems if a fish decided to try to make a home under one if the rocks on the bottom. *squash*

(Reason #4 why it is best to put the rock in 1st and sprinkle the sand around it)

I agree w your Conclusion, they are related and thus the behavior is explained. also the damsel starts getting real aggressive once it digs, so I would suspect the clown would do the same.

Archived