Innovative Marine Aquariums

Increasing Flow in 12g Nanocube DX

Brick

I have a MJ606 in chamber three and a MJ320 and MJ450 in chamber one. I am considering going to an SPS dominated tank (as soon as chris @ nanocustoms finishes up the MH hood prototypes). The flow makes it 153GPH on one side (split by Y fitting) from the MJ606, 73GPH (always on) from the MJ 320 and 117GPH (alternating every 15 minutes) from the MJ450. Is this enough flow for SPS? If not - any suggestions? Thanks.

Artarmon42,

I really like the threads. Does the HydorFLO provide enough flow for the whole tank? I see that you added a moded MJ with more capacity but as you are aware - the problem with the NC is the lack of flow on the left side.

artarmon42

Actually the problem is the lack of flow all along the back wall, particularly at the bottom. I know this because I run bare-bottom and I get the crud settling in that area (so I know there isn't enough flow to move it along).

I fixed it by putting in a Seio M620 :P

05-27-05.JPG

It blows down, and creates an awesome crud "uplift" every other minute (because it's on my chase timer).

I like the clean look of the NanoCube and am committed to making it look stock from the outside. Here is what I have in chamber #1. The MJ320 & MJ450 work well right now. The 320 is on 24 hours a day and the 450 alternates every 15 minutes. I had to cut out a piece of the splashguard for the MJ450 cord to run to the ReefKeeper (easy mod with Dremel) but it looks factory. Then the typical stock sponge (cleaned or replaced weekly) and then Chemipure. The look is very clean, but I am considering doing a mod similar to what Tigahboy did with his NC6 http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...e=&pagenumber=1 for that chamber and adding the HydorFLO and stronger pump (250gph or so) for random water movement from the left side. Any thoughts?

123571st_Chamber-med.JPG

artarmon42

I was a fan of pumps in Chamber 1 originally.

But Chronicles (or was it Web Guy ???) finally talked me into trying the cassette surface skimmer mod. One you see the water clarity, it's hard to put back the pumps.

artarmon42

Interesting!

1) What did you coat the Hydors with?

2) Is that an IceProbe I see sticking out?

3) What is that hole(?) in the upper-middle of the wall?

stoney waters

1. The Hydors are coated with reef sand. I brush them with silicone, drop them in a paper bag of sand. Just like Shake N Bake. I used to do the same thing with my powerheads in my larger tanks. When they get algae covered they look more like rock.

2. Yes and no, what you see is a pvc cap that is covering the end of the probe.

3. That is not a hole, its a... well a pic should explain it better.

stoneysnano0006_2.jpg

Stone,

Can you explain (and take a pic) of how you attached your FLO(s). I want to get them as close to the back wall as possible. Your idea is almost exactly what I am planning to do. Thanks.

I initially had a pump in chamber 1, but, once I saw how clean that surface/water was, I was totally over it.

I also think it kinda ruins the whole process of filtering, by flowing outwards, of where it intakes?

Stoney--> AWESOME Skimmer mod!

D

Archived