Coral Vue Hydros

Nano-Reef Setup

iFish

Hey everyone, just looking for some opinions on the new ten gallon setup I started today.

Filter: AquaClear Mini & 7 pecies of biologically active live rock

Lights: 65 watt - (10,000K) - Daylight & 65 watt - (7100K) - Actinic

Livestock: 3 mushrooms (Different Varaities)

I want to add some live sand and a powerhead, but neither until the mushrooms settle in. The tank does not need to cycle beacuse the rock was taken right out of an already cycled tank. So after waiting a few hours I added three individual mushrooms that I took out of my other tank. They have really small pecies of rock attached to the base, but its not heavy enough to stop a current from moving them, so I'd like to wait for them to get a better hold.

I will probably get two gobies or the like and a cleaner shrimp as well as more corals and some smaller hermits and snails.

I've got a 2x36 light kit & I'm thinkin' my mushrooms are ####ed. Nothing wrong with having that much light - you'll just need to grow corals that require it.

What are some easy corals that I could keep? The shrooms were originally under 2 175 watt 5500K halides and 2 96 watt actinics, I'll give em a few more days. Thanks! I just need to buy live sand, tahts all.

you can try leather corals but they can get big. colts are nice and dynamic with the water currents you've got planned (they also grow decently fast)

zoanthids and the various polyp corals, which are again fast growers (gsp, erthypodium, etc.), are also easy corals.

you could glue down the shrooms approx. where you want them. they'll eventually move off anyways.

11-29?-02 Update:

~(About) a week and a half ago I added an Orchid Dottyback.

~ a week ago I took the shrooms out and returned them to the mother tank where they are looking much better.

Today I went to the LFS and got a Blue-Tipped Acro and a quarter-sized hammer coral frag. They have been aclimated. Also got a cleaner shrimp which is chillin in an ever smaller nano; not sure when I will move him in.

Plans for the future:

Need a small, quiet powerhead.

Add live sand. (Got it, just have to find some time!!)

Get more clean-up crew. (Hermits, Snails, what should I get???)

Remove Orchid Dottyback to other tank. (He is a visitor in my current tank)

Get 2 Green Clown Gobies.

More coral and done!

First, I'd like to say I'm very jealous of your new Hammer frag. Been lookin' fer one around here....(sob....sob....)

Keep us posted on the Acro....we're always interested to see how they do under PCs.

...and for the small, quiet powerhead, see Dave ESPI - he was selling them at one point - can't remember what brand, but remember he "swears by 'em".

Ross

Archived