inTank Media Baskets

jmt.12³ blog (revisited)

jmt

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by peterk731

what type of gravel is that? Looks like pebbles.

it's dip-n-dots. Nice goby JMT, where did you get your tank from originally?

Full tank shots.

Left Angle

5403leftacube.JPG

Right Angle

5403rightacube.JPG

Front

5403ffrontcube.JPG

The acro frag is just sitting there. I hadn't originally intended for it to be in the cube because I thought it was dead. However, there is still some good tissue on it so maybe it will make a recovery.

Thanks.

-jmt

The tank looks realy nice JMT!

But I don't think that your going to have good luck with that Acro under 18 watts of light.

Travis: I know. I orginally thought it didn't make it. Believe it or not, it has grown a lot under PC lighting. I guess time will tell.

The Empiricist

JMT, that tank is even cooler than your hair algae propagating experiment... :

Ok, sorry. Actually your tank is awesome. The toothed minisump makes me technically jealous and the whole tank feels the same way a custom computer does; More serious about the hobby. There's just something about open top tanks? I'm a little disappointed to see your original SPS plans set aside, but I'm pretty sure you're on the way to making me feel better with your ideal aquascaping and tank inhabitance. I always appreciated skunk clowns. Plan on adding an anemone?

By the by, I'm a sucker for exponents in titles! :nerd:

Edit: I'll also be quite interested to know how that sps is doing in a few months. I don't doubt some variety will utilize the lighting just fine.

Thanks.

Since I won't be upgrading the lighting, I seriously doubt I'll be adding an anemone. I did think about it however.

On a similar note, I've caught the skunk trying to sleep in the feather duster already. Hopefully the feather duster will succomb and host the skunk.

Montipora Hirisuta (Elkhorn) is a prime candidate for low PC lighting. The stuff grows like a weed. Although it doesn't have the most amazing color (green at most), it more than makes up for it in really interesting growth patterns. I will probabaly throw a frag of that in there as well.

I designed the tank, but the credit goes to Dave at Kermit's Reef. He put it all together for me.

If you're seriously interested in a custom tank (such as mine), give him a call and see what he can do for you. He comes fully reccomended.

I was very pleased when he told me he could put together a rimless and braceless glass tank. I think it turned out really well.

Hey jmt, I am seariously considering doing a 2.5 pico with that Odysea Light. Would you suggest using it?

Travis: Sure. It's so much cheaper than the other 12" lights and so far I have no complaints about the bulb or fixture. The only things that are subpar are the mounting legs. The way they mount to the tank is kind of annoying since you're left with so much hang over.

New Frags today. I got a small branching hammer and a peice of motipora hirisuta (elkhorn).

5403eupandhiri.JPG

Thanks.

-jmt

I took the acro back to my LFS today. It was in pretty bad shape to begin with, so I decided not to chance its life given the lighting I have on the cube.

Ah well, at least the tank is back to looking a little more proportional.

-jmt

• 3 weeks later...

Update: 6/20

The tank isn't doing so hot.

I woek up one morning to find the skunk attempting to be hosted by the featherduster. Cool, or so I thought. Shrotly there after, I found the featherduster crown had been shed. Luckily it was still intact and easily removed.

Later, I found that the featherduster had removed itself from the tube and wrapped around the red shroom. The duster later died, and took the shroom with it.

How could I tell he was dead? His carcass was polluting my water column. I did a quick 2ga waterchange and hoped for the best.

Things are still quieting down and corals are starting to re-open, except for the Montipora Hirisuta. It's started some STN and may not recover.

On a similar sad note, the tomiyama abadoned ship. I found his jerky-ed body on the floor. I assume it had something to do with the recent death of the duster and elevated stress levels, but I can't be sure.

That's a shame too. He was a cool fish.

-jmt

very sad. sorry for your loss. FYI: next time, try leaving the duster crown in the tank (but watch it closely). It can actually regrow.

Updates! (6/26)

I caught a pic of the featherduster bailing out. but never go around to posting it. So, enjoy!

5403poly.JPG

I also added a blue ricordia floridia with 2 mouths and this green and pink shroom that is kind of frilly. Last but not least, 2 turbo snails. One was added to the display and the other to the sump. I hope they can keep the algae to a minimum, even though it isn't really a problem.

The death of the featherduster also lead me to move the tank around some.

Pics of all the changes to come later, after the tank quiets down a little. So, stay tuned!

Thanks.

-jmt

Archived