Coral Vue Hydros

Thank...and a new lighting/location question

Chineseghoststory

Chineseghoststory

First off, a hearty thanks to all for sharing your insight and opinions on my last post, which helped me sort out what a load of BS I was being fed by my lfs. Your advice saved me probably a lot of money since I am going to stop dealing with this clown. I also learned a thing or two from various responses about lighting, filtration, where to get RO water and nutrients in a new tank. Those who want to see this should look at my last post as well as all the responses, it's a classic and informative example of good nano advice.

Now for today's question: where can I put the nano so as to not disturb the light cycle? I was going to put it on a desk next to my computer, which is in a room that has a window, yet receives no direct sunlight at all. I have no plans thus far as to when the lights will be on and off since, well, that's what I'm here to ask.

As a locksmith who runs a 24 hour company singlehandedly, I am coming and going all day and will have plenty of chances to admire the tank, but mostly I get to spend my major amount of time at that desk between midnight and four am. Thus, I'd ideally like the lights on during that time. But since I will be using the desk there will be some degree fo light reaching the tank from the desk lamp on the other side fo the computer. The tank will also be exposed to what residual daylight comes in through the windows during the day. It is possible to close the blinds on that room during the day.

So when do you think it'd be best to have the tank lights on? Does the daylight coming in from the window count towards when the tank is exposed to daylight? What if I have a "special guest" over an want to turn the lights on for a few minutes to show off? Apparently I need to hear from those who have some idea of how religiously (if at all) a lighting regimen needs to be followed.

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. The tank will not be exposed to or affected by any heat coming from the computer.

hey man...just light your tank during the hours you want. that should be fine. the sunlight in teh room wont affect it as long as you keep the blinds closed. it will kinda maybe be like a moonlight affect. the light from your desk..yeah i wouldnt worry about that either. these things arent really as sensitive as wed like to think. i live in a college house with 3 roomates and my tank is in the living room. as you can guess there is odd hour drinking and partying which hasnt seemed to have any effect on the tank. oh yeah turning the lights on for a few to show off to a "visitor" is fine. i do it all the time.

Personally, I'd stick with a more conventional lighting schedule. What I would do, if I were you, is get a good red bulb and run it on a reverse cycle from the daytime lights. There are some very interesting things that go on in the night.

Salim

Mine is in my writing room, right beside the sofa. It helps me relax and focus.. allthough sometimes it can be very distracting!:P

There is a large window on the other side of the room, but I keep the blinds closed all day - heck the PC's keep the entire room lit!

sloreefer,

aren't you concerned about beer dosing? my roommates used 'help' or entertain themselves depending on their level of intoxication. X)

ghost,

i agree with slo, just leave it to your schedule. ambient light outside the tank shouldn't be too bad. shades would help tho.

Archived