Top Shelf Aquatics

6 Gallon JBJ Nano at 3 Months

sataneatscheese

sataneatscheese

Well, I'd like to enter the contest if I'm elligible. I have had my nano cube 6 up and running since the day they came out. At the time I worked at my lfs so I got mine the first day it came out. I have modded my tank up to 49 watts personally with 2 9 watt pcs and 1 13 watt pc off a desk lamp. The 9 watters were off of a 18 watt total coralife reptilife unit. They come apart nicely and fit behind the splash guard on the nano 6 and that upgade cost only 30$ for 2x the light. The 13 watt pc was a dissasembled desk lamp with a different bulb inserted. Both can easily be done with external ballasts outside the tank for greater cooling (the reptilite even came with a switch!). A far as filtration on my little bugger I have a minijet 606 spraying 230 gph and I have a cannister filter I fished out of the lfs's dumpster hooked up and running nicely (it's rated for up to 125 gallon tanks!) The tubes go into my sump via an enlarged area direcly above where the hinges are located.I also have a bit of purigin in there (highly recomended) and some phosban(still have hair algae though). As far as livestock goes I have 2 baby perculas(to be traded in every 2 months so they don't get to big), a yellow sea cucumber, a mated pair of coral banded shrimps, a pistolshrimp and paired high fin goby, 3 snails and 3 hermits + an emerald crab. The whole operation works great and I have only lost one anemone shrimp (did not mix well with coral bandeds) since it has been set up. If you are woried about having to put in more light the photo included was taken 2 days after I put in the extra light and the cannister so it is certainly possible to grow this stuff with the 3 watts per gallon stock. My xenia has split off into 3 stalks, my blastfomusa has sprouted a new head, my star polyps have spread 30% and my mushrooms are going crazy. I even have a porties coral in there doing just fine with acro crabs and dusters covering it. The little cube is indestructable. If possible this is an official entry from me(I will probably submit another in a few months at the end of the contest) and if I am ineligable good luck! If you have any questions on how to mod your tank (mine cost me 45$ for lights + 25 for the minijet 606 feel free to ask.

Orange Crush

Sorry, but tanks can't be started before June 1. If you'd like to start another one (maybe a stock?) just for the contest, you're more than welcome to do that. Nice looking tank, though!

Archived