Top Shelf Aquatics

Water chemistry

BCOrchidGuy

Okay so with all the talk about salts etc I have a few more questions.

If I mix a batch of my favorite salt (don't have a favorite yet) and it mixes to a pH of 8.8 what can I do to lower the pH or should I worry about it. Assuming I am doing a 10% w/c that shouldn't bring my tank pH up past 8.4 as long as my tank is at 8.3... should it? What about if the pH is really low in the make up water, adding more salt would just bring up my SG but probably wouldn't change the pH .... .. right??

I assume that my pH will gradually lower over time so I wonder if it is a big deal or not.

Salinity/ specific gravity, I mix my salt to the right SG, Calcium is less than 300, pH is a bit high though, should I dose this with Calcium hydroxide or Reef complete and add THIS soup to my tank or should I just do the w/c and adjust the parameters the day after the w/c.

Iodide, I can not find an Iodide/iodine test kit anywhere, I've tried all the lfs I can think of, I want to make sure my Xenia doesn't starve but at the same time I don't want to over do it either.

8.8 ? WTF? you have ph that high on salt, you have some killer

Alk then. or was that just a "hypothetical situation?"

Iodine test kit.

Salifert. its decent, but a bit cantankerous. Lamotte makes one , but its like 45.00.

I let my water sit overnight with a powerhead to stir it

Yes it was a hypothetical question, while reading the S15 report I saw some salts did test at over 9 for pH which made me think, what does that do to the water when added.

Archived