Top Shelf Aquatics

2 10g tanks? Help?

cmaglio

I have a 10g reef tank, and i would like to put another 10g tank under it as an overflow tank. what do i have to do to setup flow between the 2 tanks? I would like to put my heater and filter on the overflow tank to avoid clutter in the reef tank... and also i think the overflow with an extra 10g would stabalize my water a bit more... is this possible?

Well I think most people have their reef tank drilled just below the top so that overflow goes through this hole down a tube into their sump/refugium. A pump in the sump/refugium pumps the water back up to the main tank. The problem is, you need to have an empty tank to have someone professionally drill the hole in the side. The other option is to get an overflow that hangs on the edge of your main tank but in this case, it will be protruding into the tank somewhat with the water collection cup. Also, with this system, water is siphoned from the in tank collection area over the edge of your tank and into an outer collection cup (and then down to your sump/ref). So if the siphon ever fails your pump will cause the tank to overflow. I am sure someone will jump on here with more possibilities but those are the two that I know of off the bat. By the way, I have a friend that uses the second methoed and he seems to like it, but he has a large tank so the part that is in the tank isn't such a big deal.

If it were me and I wanted a sump/refugium below my show tank, I'd do it myself following the instructions in the following thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...highlight=drill

What's a 10-gallon tank cost....$9.00? So you break a couple....big deal, get another one and try again. If you have any specific questions, PM Lizbeth. I'm sure she'd be glad to help.

Good luck.

Archived