Pod Your Reef

Ocellaris color fading but still active

kooky

I've had one of these guys for about a year now. He is always actively swimming around the tank and always grabbing food like mad during feeding times. Recently I bought another clown, and that's when I noticed how dull / devoid of color my first clown is. The fish is still as active and seems even hungrier than the newer(3 weeks) fish.

The newer clown is super-bright but my older one has a faded look. There are no patches of white that I can see, unless I guess you may say there may be a covering all over the body that is blocking the orange? He's not showing any other symptoms like I would expect from Brooklynella, like loss of appetite (he has just the opposite) or lying on the bottom of the tank.

I have a FOWLR 29G setup with 130w of PC lighting, and a skimmer. My water parameters are normal, and the tank has been up for over a year with only the two clowns, some snails and hermits. I don't know how long he has had this faded color, but it may have been months. I feed frozen brine shrimp, marine flakes, and table shrimp on occasion.

Should I be worried?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived