inTank Media Baskets

Getting rid of Aiptasia?

exel170

peppermint shrimp is what i use ...and Joes Juice would be the better of the 2 IMO but i dont believe in adding chemicals to get rid of something that can be rid of in a natural way

Peppermint's will work, but they need to be hungry... Mine won't touch my aiptasia (only have 1) but my dad had about 500 of them in his tank and thry ate them all up. Difference? I feed my tank regularly, he didn't have any fish so there was no food. If you have an established tank I doubt peppermints will work, try Joe's juice or just strong kalkwasser mix and a small syphon to suck out the pieces of the dead ones. If you are setting up then peppermints all the way.

You can try a little hot water in a syringe and squirt it into the beast. Also I have heard of people injecting a mega dose of Kalk right into them. Maybe even some Iodine? Theoretically, any mega dose could do the job. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

My aipstasia is almost gone now. I went down to the local pharmacy and got a Diabeties syrenge. I fill it with lemon juice and inject it right into the little suckers. Not more than one CC in a day. This has worked very well for me.

I went to the LFS today and they are using somethig that looks and smells like Tabasco but it has not been working for them. I think it might be Joe's Juice, but I'm not sure.

I had heard about using Lemon juice several times before I tried it. It only works if you actually inject it inside the aipstasia. I've tried and missed on a few, but every time I actually stick one, it never comes back...

Good luck!

My new peppermint shrimp devoured my 6 aipstasia right away. I actually thought they were cool anenomes until I read about them. If you kill the one you see with chemicals but find more smaller ones later consider trying the shrimp route, make sure you get the right species though.

I too got Prppermint shrimp to try and get the little ones. They haven't touched one yet! From what I have read, they have to be hungry to start chomping away at the aiptasia. Mine eat pretty well when i feed my fish. There is usually some food that falls to the bottom and they feed off that. I would get a couple anyway just for good measure...

There are nudi's that eat nothing but aiptasia, but it'll starve to death after they're gone. Maybe you could see if someone in your area has one you could borrow. Just keep an eye on it if you do, cause if tit dies it could foul up your water.

• 5 weeks later...

I used a soldering iron. Poked the tip of it right in there and burnt it to death. Hasn't come back since. I only had one also

I used a soldering iron. Poked the tip of it right in there and burnt it to death. Hasn't come back since. I only had one also

My first thought when i read this was someone poking the soldering iron into the aiptasia while it was in the tank. I'm thinking, great if you want to be electrocuted!

Originally posted by lostdog

I'm thinking, great if you want to be electrocuted!

I second that thought. Peppermint shrimp worked good for me in my nano. By the 2nd day in the tank all 8 were goners!

Not all peps will eat it. I had two and one devoured it like candy as the other would walk over it. I would go the pep route also, because you can usually trade them back to the lfs and if you have one known to eat it, sell to a local reefer and so on. I don't like to put chemicals in my tank when there is a natural way, but you have had many suggestions. Hopefully one will work to your satisfaction.

• 3 weeks later...
Sean_Buckley

Would it work if you got a needle (like a sewing needle or something) and heated it up red hot on the stove element or something, took a pair of tongs, or pliers, or needle-nose pliers, and stuck it in the anemone?

Sean

No. It'd heal. Possibly split into several, too. Try boiling water (so-so) or boiling Kalk (more effective than plain water).

Archived