SaltCritters.com

help on choice of bulbs please

Donna

Hi everyone..I am sort of new here....been lurking for quite some time researching my brains out to be sure I do this right. Here's what I'll be doing:

10 gal AGA

DIY hood

2-36 watt pc.. AH supply

15lbs Fiji LR

10lbs live sand

100 watt heater

aqua clear mini (have a 200 also...which is best?)

penguin PH 145gph (I think)

Confused about bulbs...I want to keep 1-2 fish, shroons, feather duster, softies, sps......Help!? I'm likely to be posting as I go along here. Thanks for all the help thus far!

I have to get everything on line...closest LFS an hour away...horrible looking uncured rock for 8.00 a lb!!!!:*(

The 2-32w sounds ok to me. One 10k and one actinic o3 would be cool. You may also want to look at a 96w Smartlite Powerquad kit. That will take up around the same room but be more light. Smartlite bulbs are half 10k daylight and half actinic 03. You can keep softies, LPS, shrooms, dusters, etc under the them but I wouldn't try SPS if your a beginner.....you really want to understand the basics with hardier corals first.

Cameron

Ditto Physh's comments - especially about the SPS. I bought the 2x36 for my 10-gallon as well from ahsupply....6400K white/actinic, and they're powerful. I really need to move my shrooms into some shade. You'll be able to keep everything you mentioned with 2x36s.

I buy most of my stuff online, too. Not because they don't have stuff around here, but because the stuff I've seen online looks much better. And IMO, you get better expertise online from some of the smaller dealers.

Good luck, and welcome!....Ross.

Originally posted by Donna

15lbs Fiji LR...horrible looking uncured rock for 8.00 a lb!!!!:*(

$8 per lb is SICK. contact sthauck for some (from what i hear over and over again) really NICE live rock. i think minimum box orders are 20# but you can always send that extra 5# to me (the reason i'm bringing this up hehe). good luck donna!

as for lighting, i think 6-7 13watters will do the trick... no really, 2x36 is fine.

Archived