Cultivated Reef

Need 2 ID's

Mnesarchus

I noticed these two things pop up around the same time and am wondering what they are/and if they are good.

These little white dots have been popping up all over the place, on my heater, on my powerhead, on the back wall.. what are they?

i do not know the scientific name of the snail but i have two in my big tank, when i bought them they were called turbos i guess because they move so fast. all mine to is eat detrius and algae.

Don't know about the white dots, before I saw the pic I would have said little tube worms, but they don't seem to be. Do they move?

The snail is a Euplica sp. They are largely detritivores, usually active (very active) at night. Mine winds up in the skimmer a lot, seeking out the detritus that tends to fall out in the skimmer water column I guess. I put him back in the tank when I clean the skimmer and it always goes back eventually.

I'm guessing the white dots are those little feather dusters that show up all over everything. Get real close and see if they're spiral shaped. You may even see little tentacles coming out. If so, that's the little feather dusters. They're harmless filter feeders and a good sign of a healthy young tank, as they eat plankton.

The snail, I just got some from a friend and was told they were Strombus grazers. They could be wrong, but Strombus is the family name for conchs as well, and that would be consistent with the feeding siphon on the front of the snail. Detritus/algae eaters either way.

Good stuff! congrats!

Travis

I have snails that look very similar to those, but it's hard to tell without a closeup of the shell and foot. I got mine from a friend who was told they were Strombus Maculatus. Mine breed like crazy laying small clear disc shaped egg sacs about 4mm in diameter. These contain an average of 8 "embryonic snails" that gestate for two or three weeks before bursting forth. Despite the low amount of algea in my nano (caused solely by them) they still reach the size of 10-15 mm in my tank. Here's a picture of what mine look like and fairly new egg sac.

snail.jpg

Archived